Small white flakes in fridge water (update)

After reading multiple discussions and websites about the possibility of certain refrigerator reservoirs breaking down in chlorinated water causing tissue-like little flakes in the chilled water, I dished out the bucks and ordered a new coil-type reservoir and installed it.
Well, weeks later and after countless gallons having been run through, I see no difference. Flakes.
When I took out the old reservoir, I emptied it, filled it with water, shook it out, and inspected the water that came out. No flakes.
The flakes for me are not coming from the reservoir. I don't have or need a filter, so they're not coming from that either.
No solution yet, but at least I know it wasn't the reservoir.
Maybe it's just from hard water.

On 12 Jan 2006 20:35:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Duh. Me thinks you need a filter. It will stop the flakes.
WM wrote:

Duh. What did I tell you? I don't need a filter. This problem only comes up with water that passes through the fridge.
Also, the water is good city water, and the flakes are flexible ultra-thin material that doesn't dissolve in acid, so it's not hard water.
On 13 Jan 2006 09:01:01 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I had that problem a few years ago and discovered that yje paint in the compartment was peeling away. I new fridge rectified. Jesse
4. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Jan 13, 12:01 p
"Duh. What did I tell you? I don't need a filter. This problem only comes up with water that passes through the fridge. "
I have town water too and I can also see white sediment in the chilled water from my fridge, but not in a glass drawn from the sink. I concluded it was from minerals that are settling out somehow in the reservoir in the fridge. It's possible that the temp drop contributes to this happening. There is definitely mineral content in the water, as I can see a reasonable amount of white material that gets deposited on my humidifier element on the furnace. Since you replaced the reservoir, it's possible there is still material left in the lines that may take some time to flush out.
If it's truly disolved minerals, then a filter may not solve it, but a water softner should. Unfortunately, thats a lot of bucks for a glass of water from the fridge.

I find it impossible to believe that it is anything of mineral origin since, as I mentioned, the ultra-thin flakes are very flexible and will not dissolve in acid. I suspect bad tubing elsewhere in the fridge, but I'm not going to tear everything apart to fix it. I just wanted folks to know that the reservoir theory may be wrong or only partially correct.
It's called CALCIUM. Probably in the line to the fridge or all your pipes. It's not harmful. In fact it's good for you. If it really bothers you, I believe they make cartridge filters to put in the line to the fridge, but you have t change them regularly.
================= On 12 Jan 2006 20:35:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

It is unlikely coming from the lines, It also could be what is called cold water slime. A bacteria that grows in ice machines, I work in the commercial field and primarly service ice machines. Now home makers make ice a little different. But you can get scale build up, or slime from making ice. And water filters that remove scale build up are far from 100 percent. Soft water is actually good to reduce scale but contribute to slime build up. Ill take a picture of a reallly nasty machine and post them to give a idea of what I am talking about. I suggest you call the manfacture and ask what they suggest you can do about youre problem. Oh just wondering do you know for a fact youre fridge does not have a water filter installed from factory? I believe a while back some body posted about the very same thing you are saying and they did not know they had a filter and it was putting crud into the water supply.
--
hiebs