Small volume mortar mixing

I've got a few projects coming up that I'd like to save my energy spent mixing mortar by hand for the project itself.
I work alone & don't work for long any more- so mix one batch and I'm done for the day. It is time to automate that part so I can expend the energy on stacking block, plastering, or finishing.
I've used a mud mixer on a 1/2" drill with some success- up to a gallon or two of mud. But without a stand it isn't really a whole lot easier than mixing in a tub with a mortar hoe.
The one I have is like this http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-Tools/Mixing-Paddles/Marshalltown-Spiral-Mixers Works great for paint & wallboard mud- not so much for dryer stuff like mortar. I might buy/build a stand & see if that helps any.
I'm also looking at one of these-- http://www.kolmixal.com/mixal.cfm
I've got a 1/2hp motor on my cement mixer- so I could get the M-60 without motor for a couple hundred bucks- or I might make a 'tipping' one & just buy the paddle.
Any thoughts?
Jim

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-Tools/Mixing-Paddles/Marshalltown-Spiral-Mixers
Work wise I am in the same boat as you.
I would think the time and effort to haul and clean anything would be about the same as mixing in tub with a hoe for a single bag of mix.
Colbyt
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-Tools/Mixing-Paddles/Marshalltown-Spiral-Mixers
You could use a wetback recliner. Here's on on Craigslist: http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/1507451545.html

my best friend cut the top out a old propane tank and turned it into a mini cement mixer.
i believe harbor freight now sells a real small mixer too
-snip-

I've got a cement mixer. An old cast iron thing that will gobble up 3-4 bags of ready-mix at a time. It does a great job for cement- even if I just need a single bag.
But mortar is a different animal- and I like to keep it stiff.
Most mortar mixers have paddles moving in a drum rather than the drum turning.
This one has been tempting me, too- last time I liked it was $130- now it is down to $99. . . . . http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId051&productId0586201&langId=-1&catalogId053&ci_src110944&ci_sku0586201&cm_mmc=1hd.com2froogle-_-product_feed-_-D23X-_-100586201 http://preview.tinyurl.com/yeo3qdy
Jim
Swap out your spiral mixer for one like this: http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Tile-Tools/Mixing-Paddles/Marshalltown-Quick-Mixer
Works great for plaster, mortar, etc. Needs a heavy 1/2" drill motor. The biggest problem is hanging onto the bucket. I usually just put one foot on it, but I have always meant to make something to hold the bucket.
--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

Plans for a vintage homemade "midget mixer".
pdf
http://www.vintageprojects.com/farm-construction/Cement-Mixer.pdf

-snip-
Some interesting ideas there-- but note that it is a cement mixer which I have. I think it could be adapted easy enough, and I like some of the mechanics of that design.
Thanks, Jim
Oren wrote:

Wow. Thanks Oren, that's a really neat thing.
Jon

Have you seen the Odjob bucket mixer? It's easy and cheap - easy to clean, too. Far better than a mortar tub and hoe for mixing. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=43202 It's pretty idiot proof - drop in a 60# bag of concrete or mortar mix, the lid doubles as a water container with measuring marks, screw on the lid and kick it back and forth for a couple of minutes. Good to go. If you have any rug rats around it's something they can easily do.