small tubes of grease

As a matter of fact, YES I do. Ya never know when someone will light up a cigarette!!!! (Except I dont carry a purse, because that's GAY). I carry a cloth recycling bag!

Reply to
generic

Ideally, I'd like something that's waterproof, and lubricates threads. I needed some grease today, as I was reassembling a lock on a door. I also do refrigeration. The caps for the valves, and access ports, tend to rust and corrode on. At the moment, I think dielectric grease from the auto parts store is suited to my tasks.

What kind of grease? You can find both silicone and white lithium in small tubes at your local auto parts sellin' emporium. Also bearing grease is sold in small tubs still for hand packing wheel bearings (as well as the usual tubes for your grease gun.)

nate

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I do have a mini grease gun. Used it a couple days ago (with a syringe needle) to grease the CV joints on my Blazer. You are right, about the leakage. I keep mine in a plastic grocery bag, and even then it's grease all over.

They actually have small grease guns, less than half the size of a normal grease gun. But I still wouldn't recommend it because of the seepage.

nate

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think we could become friends. I can learn a lot from you, even over the internet.

As a matter of fact, YES I do. Ya never know when someone will light up a cigarette!!!! (Except I dont carry a purse, because that's GAY). I carry a cloth recycling bag!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You may have other uses for grease.

But not for thread assembly.

I've recently converted to teflon tape instead of grease, and I'm regrettin g 50 years of lubing threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's als o the ideal antiseize compound. I never put fasteners together dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.

Reply to
TimR

years of lubing threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's also the ideal antiseize compound. I never put fasteners together dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.

Got some examples of what threads you tape? I only use tape on pipe thread. Anti-sieze on automotive threads. Nothing on everything else.

Reply to
Vic Smith

An ounce of grease will last me for a lifetime of shooting. I only use it on the slides of semi's.

Only grease fitting I think I have left in the garage is on my lawn spreader. They took these things off cars long ago and my new lawnmower has none. So, I've got a pound of white lithium grease which will last a lifetime.

I like to tell the story years ago when I was into bicycling and guy in the lab tossed out a can of PTFE mold release. I thought this would be a good thing to grease the bicycle chain and rid it of dirt. It did a nice job of lubing but after a couple of weeks the chain started to rust. Apparently the absence of hydrocarbon grease in the PTFE would not protect the metal from rusting. This makes me reticent to use something not designed for such usages.

Reply to
Frank

Earlier today, I used a teeny bit of vaseline to lube threads on the back of a mortise cylinder, for a lock. The screws are probably #2-48 machine pitch. Yesterday, I greased a couple of 10-32 screws that held a Baldwin lever set on.

But not for thread assembly.

I've recently converted to teflon tape instead of grease, and I'm regretting 50 years of lubing threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's also the ideal antiseize compound. I never put fasteners together dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had problems with the brake pins on GM vehicles being rotted in. I wonder if teflon tape would help?

For me, it's grease for wood or machine screws, and bolts.

Rectorseal #5 for natural gas pipe. Rectorseal over teflon tape for water pipe.

Got some examples of what threads you tape? I only use tape on pipe thread. Anti-sieze on automotive threads. Nothing on everything else.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:33:56 AM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote: dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.

Everything I assemble, provided the bolt is big enough to do it, and might ever need to come apart again. With some obvious exceptions like sheet metal selftappers.

Reply to
TimR

It's plumber's grease, but it ought to work good enough, most any hardware store of Lowe's or Home Depot,...

Fat-Dumb and Happy

Why are you saying that DuPont Krytox, which has been in existence for at least a few decades longer, is not fully synthetic?

Reply to
larrymoencurly

I'll buy a tube of that, some day soon. It's a good price. It may be the heavy, long lasting grease that I need for threads, valve caps on refrigeration, and such. Says it's high temp, and water proof. I like both of those.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Electronics supplies sell it for lubing plastic gears.

Car parts and hardware stores sell Lubriplate in larger squeeze tubes.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

NEVER MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREASE! IT WILL TURN TO ROCK AND BE MISERABLE TO REPAIR!

Reply to
bob haller

So, is that how the Earth was formed? God was up there, reassembling the carburetor on his lawn mower, and mixed greases?

NEVER MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREASE! IT WILL TURN TO ROCK AND BE MISERABLE TO REPAIR!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

carburetor on his lawn mower, and mixed greases? Has anyone else had this problem? I've never heard of it.

No, but I've never seen, a grease Zerk fitting, on a lawn mower carburetor, either.

Reply to
diy savant