small tubes of grease

Page 2 of 2
I do have a mini grease gun. Used it a couple days ago (with a syringe needle) to grease the CV joints on my Blazer. You are right, about the leakage. I keep mine in a plastic grocery bag, and even then it's grease all over.
And it's also a bit too large for my tool kit. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote in message
They actually have small grease guns, less than half the size of a normal grease gun. But I still wouldn't recommend it because of the seepage.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

As a matter of fact, YES I do. Ya never know when someone will light up a cigarette!!!! (Except I dont carry a purse, because that's GAY). I carry a cloth recycling bag!
I think we could become friends. I can learn a lot from you, even over the internet.
Maybe you can teach classes at my church? . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

As a matter of fact, YES I do. Ya never know when someone will light up a cigarette!!!! (Except I dont carry a purse, because that's GAY). I carry a cloth recycling bag!
You may have other uses for grease.
But not for thread assembly.
I've recently converted to teflon tape instead of grease, and I'm regrettin g 50 years of lubing threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's als o the ideal antiseize compound. I never put fasteners together dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.

years of lubing threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's also the ideal antiseize compound. I never put fasteners together dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it. Got some examples of what threads you tape? I only use tape on pipe thread. Anti-sieze on automotive threads. Nothing on everything else.
I've had problems with the brake pins on GM vehicles being rotted in. I wonder if teflon tape would help?
For me, it's grease for wood or machine screws, and bolts.
Rectorseal #5 for natural gas pipe. Rectorseal over teflon tape for water pipe.
Neversieze for auto parts assembly. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .

Got some examples of what threads you tape? I only use tape on pipe thread. Anti-sieze on automotive threads. Nothing on everything else.
On Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:33:56 AM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote: dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.

Everything I assemble, provided the bolt is big enough to do it, and might ever need to come apart again. With some obvious exceptions like sheet metal selftappers.
Earlier today, I used a teeny bit of vaseline to lube threads on the back of a mortise cylinder, for a lock. The screws are probably #2-48 machine pitch. Yesterday, I greased a couple of 10-32 screws that held a Baldwin lever set on.
I challenge you to teflon those, and get back to me. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
You may have other uses for grease.
But not for thread assembly.
I've recently converted to teflon tape instead of grease, and I'm regretting 50 years of lubing threads. Dumb! Tape isn't just for sealing, it's also the ideal antiseize compound. I never put fasteners together dry, except maybe a woodscrew, and even then I cringe a bit doing it.
On 04/24/2013 07:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

Messy to keep in your toolbox... even my good Lincoln grease gun will seep some of the lighter fractions of the grease around the bottom if infrequently used.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 04/24/2013 03:45 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

four ounce range. Possibly screw cap tube, like toothpaste tubes. Once in a while, I need a tiny bit of grease, to put on threads for reassembly. Don't need a whole pound like axle grease.

What kind of grease? You can find both silicone and white lithium in small tubes at your local auto parts sellin' emporium. Also bearing grease is sold in small tubs still for hand packing wheel bearings (as well as the usual tubes for your grease gun.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Ideally, I'd like something that's waterproof, and lubricates threads. I needed some grease today, as I was reassembling a lock on a door. I also do refrigeration. The caps for the valves, and access ports, tend to rust and corrode on. At the moment, I think dielectric grease from the auto parts store is suited to my tasks.
Thank you, for your good questions and ideas. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
What kind of grease? You can find both silicone and white lithium in small tubes at your local auto parts sellin' emporium. Also bearing grease is sold in small tubs still for hand packing wheel bearings (as well as the usual tubes for your grease gun.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
It's plumber's grease, but it ought to work good enough, most any hardware store of Lowe's or Home Depot,... (Amazon.com product link shortened)
I'll buy a tube of that, some day soon. It's a good price. It may be the heavy, long lasting grease that I need for threads, valve caps on refrigeration, and such. Says it's high temp, and water proof. I like both of those.
I can't resist butt crack a plumber joke, here. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
It's plumber's grease, but it ought to work good enough, most any hardware store of Lowe's or Home Depot,... (Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:45:09 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Electronics supplies sell it for lubing plastic gears.
Car parts and hardware stores sell Lubriplate in larger squeeze tubes.
On Apr 25, 7:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

NEVER MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREASE! IT WILL TURN TO ROCK AND BE MISERABLE TO REPAIR!
So, is that how the Earth was formed? God was up there, reassembling the carburetor on his lawn mower, and mixed greases?
Has anyone else had this problem? I've never heard of it. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
NEVER MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREASE! IT WILL TURN TO ROCK AND BE MISERABLE TO REPAIR!
On 4/26/2013 7:18 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

carburetor on his lawn mower, and mixed greases? Has anyone else had this problem? I've never heard of it. No, but I've never seen, a grease Zerk fitting, on a lawn mower carburetor, either.
Oh, gosh, it's in one of the missing books of the Bible, Pope Home Repair the XIV took it out. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .