small stiring heating unit

Page 1 of 2
I am looking for a place where I can get 8 inches or a foot of resist wire. It is about 3/8 inch in diameter. The unit fails to get hot enough anymore and we need it and cannot find anything like it. What type of supply house or business do I start my search with.
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/16/2012 11:36 AM, joevan wrote:

You are looking for resistance wire that is 3/8 inch in diameter? Are you kidding?
Bet you are looking at something like a GE Calrod. That is a metal tube with resistance wire wound inside. Like on a kitchen electric range.
Paul
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/16/2012 2:36 PM, joevan wrote:

It does sound like you're looking for a heating element, not a resistance wire. Why not replace the heater?
Add pictures here
✖

It is not a heater. It is a unit with a heated surface and a pan with a special column thru which a column and it supports a special stirring paddle. We have searched for such.
From my assistants email " Tefal no longer advertises it as you said and it didn’t mention parts available under the section for repair. I will keep looking."
Add pictures here
✖
On 3/16/2012 6:10 PM, joevan wrote:

    OK, It sounds like some type of Calrod. On one end of the rod there should be a wattage and voltage stamped into the metal. This should help to locate a similar element if the manufacturer can't get you a replacement
Add pictures here
✖

I could post a picture of the heat element. What is a good place to do so?
Add pictures here
✖

Photobucket, Flickr are OK
Add pictures here
✖

Maybe a picture of the entire device would be good also, so that how that heating element/ Calrod is being used by the appliance...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:31:34 -0700 (PDT), Evan

Ok I will try but to get to the heating unit I had to remove some of the wires. They make it very difficult to get inside of newer things, I guess to keep people from repairing them.
Add pictures here
✖

Because many small appliances can be dangerous if you do not repair them correctly -- you definitely will void the UL rating unless you replace what you suspect is the faulty part with an identical one, and given how purpose-specific that application seems it is unlikely to be available as a replacement part...
Appliances made these days are meant to be recycled when they fail, the high cost of some of the replacement parts and the labor to install them is supposed to motivate you to buy a newer unit..
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 09:18:38 -0700 (PDT), Evan

I would buy a new one if I could find one. We use it to make a special paste used for paper repair. If it can be repaired that would be good and would save me the 25 minutes of standing at the gas range stirring it while the paste cooks.
Add pictures here
✖

Here is another shot showing the wire leading to the thermostat. Also another one showing connection wires above the heating element.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/img0180sy.jpg/
Add pictures here
✖

You've verified that you have 120V present at the heating element, ie that it's not the thermostat or something else that's faulty? In my experience, it's more often something other than the heating element itself.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 16:33:59 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I need a voltage meter. I heard that harbor freight has one for 10 bucks. I will check on it now.
Add pictures here
✖

You could also hook a light bulb up across the heating element using some jumpers. It lights, you have power. Or one of those cheap $2 neon AC tester lights.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 20:00:07 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Normally yes,, but in this case he needs to know he has the full 117 volts. The neon will light with 40volts or less and it can even be hard to judge how bright a light bulb should be when it has no shade.
Add pictures here
✖
Have you used a VOM before? Most folks who have used one, still own one from some where.
HF has cheap VOM, and also Walmart, in the automotive section.
Sounds like time to find someone who has electrical troubleshooting skill, and call for help. In person, not just on a usenet group.

I need a voltage meter. I heard that harbor freight has one for 10 bucks. I will check on it now.
Add pictures here
✖

Looks likely a thermal cutoff under the black insulation.
Greg
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, probably has one. Those two would be all or nothing at all.
Of course maybe the thing is not hot at all anymore, and it just feels hot because they expect it to be hot.
If a thermal fuse is burnt out, from overheating, they sell replacements for each temperature. If the old one isn't too bad, you can read the temp off the old one, but probably not.
And then there is connecting it to the circuit. Can't be soldered iiuc because it will overheat in the process. Has to be crimped. I have a crimper or I could use the rear side of wire cutters, but I don't have the right thing that goes around it and is small enough.
Suggestions.
I was just fiddling around with something I didnt' buy and didn't really need, so I threw it away.

Add pictures here
✖
And, someone with electrical troubleshooting skill would have determined that, already.