Small Spring comprestion ideas?

I had to put new door pins in my SUV "blazer" the other day and in doing so needed to remove the spring that you see just below the door pins. Anyways the spring is 3" long and very tough to compress, I've been able to compress it in a vice but how to I compress it to put it back into the door jam? I've tried
1) Compress the spring with vice and tie down with wire but I'm not able to leave any part of the end open to do this since the spring starts to arch in that direction if I do.
2) Tried to compress it with large pliers but then I can't get the pliers and spring into the door jam?
IDEAS?

Don't hurt yourself with a flying spring.
A fast search:
Light Truck Door Hinge Spring Tool
Prevent damage to yourself and your vehicle. Use the right tool to remove and install the door hinge springs on late model G M vehicles. Used with your 1/2" open end or socket to compress the spring. Made in the USA. http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID 244&keyword1202
Oren
THANKS I alread ordered one.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID 244&keyword1202
Don't come crying to me if this doesn't work and a flying spring nails you, but a shade tree approach might be to compress it in your vice and put a couple of strong electrical ties through it and cinch it down, then clip the ties when it is in place. I've used this method with some success, but I treat it like a bottle of nitro once it is loaded