Small pieces of drywall and insulation needed

Where can I get, for example, a 1/2 or 1/4 sized sheet of drywall or a small amount of fiberglass insulation? I only see whole sheets of drywall which I don't need/want/ and won't fit in my car. And the insulation seems to come only in bales, which is also way too much for my attic/roof access door. Buying an entire bale of insulation and throwing the rest around the attic is not an option either because the attic is only 6 inches deep. Using some other material (styrofoam) won't work for an access door because it's not hinged so I really need something that's flexible.

I don't see these things in small quantities in Home Depot or Lowes.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

My local Ace Hardware sells 1/4 sheets of drywall and plywood, so does Orchard Supply. Kind of pricey, though, you'll pay as much for a 2'x4' piece as you would for the whole sheet.

For insulation, I'd ask the store if they have any damaged insulation in their storeroom. They probably do, and might just give it to you.

Or if there is a new home or remodel construction site nearby, do a little dumpster-diving or ask the foreman for a piece.

Hope this help.

- Spellcheck

Reply to
Spellcheck

scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

HD will sell you small pieces of drywall,I've bought less than 1/4 sheet there a few times. Ask a clerk. Bales of insulation,I don't believe they would split.Maybe they would sell a damaged bale at a lower price.Otherwise,you'll have to buy a bale and dispose of the unused portion.

Maybe you should visit a home construction site,and see if they'll sell you a piece of what you need.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

With insulation I can always find a place to put the extra somewhere in the attic and get a slight payback from it. Then if I ever need more I can just get it from there.

Reply to
Brad

On 18 Dec 2003, scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I needed a 1' square of drywall for a repair. Home Depot said they would sell me a scrap if there were any broken pieces, but they didn't have any at the time, so I just bought a full sheet for $5 and had them cut it into thirds so it would fit in my car. If it wasn't winter, I would have looked for a construction site and taken a chunk out of the trash or asked them for a scrap.

Reply to
Nil

The stuff is cheap. You buy a whole sheet, cut off what you need, and the store will keep the rest for the next guy like you, or discard it. And that's the way it should be. Would you rather be paying $8.50 for a quarter of a sheet in a boutique, or $5 for a full sheet at a warehouse?

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

You can get them to cut the drywall to the size you want 1 cut is usually free. If they don't sell half sheets look around for a damaged one! As for insulation look around the water heater area they have roll batts for water heaters . If you are getting it for your door I would get the rigid foil backed sheets to glue on it. the fiberglass will shed sometimes and if you open/close the door it might dump down on the floor. he rigid sheets will work just fin and you can get a good fit with it!

I hate fiberglass and itch just talking about it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

My "attic", if you could call it that, is only 6 inches high (meaning about 6 inches between the top of the 2"x4"'s that hold up the ceiling and the bottom of the (I think 2"x6") that hold up the roof. Not conducive to storing excess insulation (if I thought I could spread out a single bale in the area around the access hole than I would do that.

Reply to
Childfree Scott

I'm an electrician and I seldome need sheetrock over 16 inches wide. I go to HD with a knife and slice the sheetrock before I ever pick it up. I carry 3/8, 1/2, and the green so I can return the fire rating to whatever it was.

Reply to
TimS