Small, light, ball barrier

I would like to make some type of barrier to keep rolling golf balls from leaving the lawn and entering the shrubbery.

I have been practicing short shots in the back yard. If I hit it a bit too long or a bit too flat, it will roll off tyhe edge of the lawn and into the never-never land of the shrubbery.

What in have in mind is something light that I can push into the dirt with my hand and remove.

It needs to be about 6-8" tall and somewhat rigid. The total length will be about 20', but needn't be one piece -- four 5' sections would be OK.

My first thought was for a piece of 1x6 or even something thinner; maybe even strips of 1/4" pegboard. I'd drill holes in the bottom edge and glue heavy wire for the stakes.

I stopped by a local hardware store looking for some type of plastic, but didn't see anything. I bought a roll of rain gutter screen and some tent stakes, but the screen is too flimsy. It needs to be stiffer.

Does anyone have a better idea than the pegboard?

Reply to
Square Peg

hardware cloth?

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Vinyl siding?

Reply to
gfretwell

Look in sporting goods department. Plastic tent stakes and some variety of table-tennis nets spring to mind. If they don't have tent stakes long enough, surveyor equipment store will have longer ones, or you could make from wood. They also make a stiff plastic mesh used for erosion control on construction sites- a full-line concrete products company would likely have that, as well as reusable stakes to go with it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Sporting goods store. Tennis, vollyball, or badmitten net.

Reply to
HeyBub

The netting used as a deer barrier would probably work. Stuff is 8 ft high so maybe you could drape top over shrubs and peg bottom down.

Reply to
Frank

I had never heard that term before. I looked for wire mesh in the local Ace Hardware, but didn't find anything that I thought might work. A search on "hardware cloth" turned up all sorts of options. I'll go look at Home Depot and OSH or I can order online. Plastic hardware cloth looks like a good possibility. I can tie it to a few spikes.

Thanks

Reply to
Square Peg

Plastic lanscape edging and stakes.

Or even redwood bender baord and stakes.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

As per ZZ's comment

Plastic landscape edging (available from amazon & elsewhere) ~$10 for 20ft roll.... 6" high

Nail / staple to edge of a Trex or wood 1x4. Make some 5' sections.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

  1. Cardboard.
  2. Foamboard.
  3. Stiff wire fencing (used by gardeners to protect plants).
Reply to
Dan

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying a roll of hardware cloth at OSH. It's 3' x 20' mesh with 1/2" squares. It's painted with a green plastic coating. Works perfectly.

I first tried a roll of rain gutter screen, but it was only 5-6" tall and too flimsy. Some balls would bounce over or even under. The hardware cloths has stopped a few "equator shots". ;-)

Thanks.

Reply to
Square Peg