Small Home addition

I was considering doing a small home addition...it would consist of adding a 10x10 room off of my existing living room, basically to add a formal dining room. This would go into the back yard which has a covered patio (with tile roof) and concrete floor that goes the whole length of the back of the house. There is a large window that would have to be moved back and one electrical outlet on the existing wall. I was just wondering if anyone has done something simular and what it cost or if anyone can ball park me a cost on this. I was thinking in the current house market where I live this addition would net me about $15,000 on the value of the home (from looking at recent sold houses with the same Sq ft, features and community). Any and all input is welcome.
Thanx
What material are you trying to match? Siding and Celotex is cheaper than brick. Are you contracting or are you DIY? Will you need permits? Do you have to meet wind codes? Are you raising the floor? Lots of questions need to be answered before you can get a decent guess. You are certainly in the $2000-3000 range if everything goes easy and you do the work. Add for everything that is above 3 siding walls on the existing floor. The large window is your new door.
Thanx Greg for your reply.....The outside is to be stucco and the inside would be textured walls. Probably will get a contractor to do it. Not sure about permits but I would assume yes they are needed. Wind codes wont be a problem. The floors wont need to be raised, I'm assuming the existing concrete from the patio will be the base of the floor and I have enough tile left over to do the new room myself. Also I'm assuming the existing tiled roof from the patio will make up the ceilling. Seems to me (i'm not a builder) but the bulk of the work would consist of knocking down the existing wall and building 3 new walls in the new location as there is already a roof in place and also a floor. I could be way off as I don't really know what all is involved. Thats why I'm posting here, just trying to ideas....
Also.....There already is french doors to the backyard so I would want the existing window how it already is just pushed back... The room may be slightly bigger by a foot or so either way...I'm not really concerned with what if any value it may bring to the house, its just something I want to do. If you need anymore info to help estimate this please let me know.
Sounds like you have a number of issues:
1. Connections with the existing structures. Disturbance of existing structure. Disturbance of existing rain shedding. Water tight connections. Appearance
2. Extension & Capacity of Mechanical system. Space for ducts. Capacity of heating or cooling equipment.
3. Extension & Capacity of Electrical system Capacity of main panel & main service.
4. Floor over slab-on-grade
5. Return on investment In my area I'd guess construction would cost $150 per square foot.
TB

The cieling and floor are already connect to the house or are already attached to the house.

I guess only a trained contractor could estimate the impact to the intregrity of the home by doing this.

Rainshedding is not really an issue where I live.

Would be the job of the contarctor to insure this.

I've played around in photoshop and it looks goood in my estimation.

Unsure what this means.

Good point...but this may not be nessesary as the cieling would vault into the existing 2 story valted ceiling.

The cooling/heating system was upgraded recently

I would hope my existing electrical could handle maybe one or two more outlets.

Another good point...does this mean I could have sinking into the ground?

Not overly concerned with this. This is something I want to do for me. Not to raise the value of the house

Thanx for the great reply...these are all things I never would have thought of. Any you raised alot of good points. I gues in my novice mind I thought it was alot easier than it really is.

Don't know where you are but that greatly affects price. There are so many variables involved like amount of demo, foundation and floor, roof style etcetera that to get a real figure you are going to have to get some local estimates. I just had an estimate to build a 12 x 12 single story addition onto an existing frame house. To frame it, roof it and put OSB on the exterior with one door and two windows on a new slab was 9K. This estimate did not include siding, insulation, electrical, HVAC, drywall or floorcoverings.
As a general rule if you hire all the work done you won't break-even on the return price at sale. You add on for lifestyle choices and hope to break even when you sell. Also 10 x 10 sounds a little on the small side for a dining room.
Good luck.

That is the size of our dining room. When we moved to this house we could not fit our hutch in there with the table. Maybe a small table that can seat four, but that is not very formal. If I was going to build for your reason, I'd go at least 12 x 14. We have to squeeze to have 6 people at our table as you cannot walk around it with the chairs pulled out for normal seating. .
FreeStyle:
F > Also.....There already is french doors to the backyard so I would want F > the existing window how it already is just pushed back... F > The room may be slightly bigger by a foot or so either way...I'm not F > really concerned with what if any value it may bring to the house, its F > just something I want to do. If you need anymore info to help estimate F > this please let me know.
If you plan on carpeting one thing to consider is most carpet rolls come in 12' widths; some 15' widths.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* Avoidable \uh-voy'-duh-buhl\: What a bullfighter tries to do.
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971