Small hole in glass window - what's available for fix?

No, he doesn't have an insulated unit, but the fact remains that not all insulated units are built with gas in them.

Reply to
Ron

Correction - SOME double pane glass has argon. Some is partial vacuum, some is nitrogen, and some is just "dry" air.

If caught early enough (doesn't sound like the case here)a window can be resealed and be pretty effective - and clear.

The secret to having a REASONABLE repair is to have the window good and warm for some time before sealing - and DRY. Heating the inner glass with a hair drier, or using a heat lamp, will drive moisture out of the space - then when it is sealed and cooled down the relative humidity is much lower - so fogging is LESS of a problem. Good chance the heat, and the lowered pressure, will cause the cracks to :run" but MIGHT be worth trying.

Reply to
clare

Hey...! Ya know what... WTF are you peeps talking about...All info is clear as mud

WHO? in their right mind has ANY idea of what you speak...Is this just a compilation of who can be the dumbest, or give the most dumb comment of all?

Because...all these posts are way out in space...But then, so are you guys.

There is not one post that I would trust.

Or maybe, put faith in, I should say.

Albeit very interesting...this forum has degenerated into a free for all..Who can out talk the next dude...

You guys need to pull together....

Reply to
Papa Pat

Well???????

Reply to
Ron

I don't think the windshield repair stuff is applicable here because the glass composition/layering is different.

IFF the window is a sealed double pane - I like the idea of heating prior to repair - driving out the moisture - spend some time with this - a space heater may work well if it can be safely positioned. To seal the hole I recommend a good dab of clear silicone - just force some into the hole from the tube and then wet your finger with spit and form it into the crater. Won't be a perfect repair but may be good 'nuff.

If you can remove the inner pane then you are dealing with a single pane

- I still don't think the windshield repair stuff will work because it depends on pulling a partial vacuum and then letting the glue move into the void/crack. Maybe you could back the glass with something - or replace the pane.

Reply to
HanKdKranK

I have 4 bb gun holes in a large glass window how do iI repair them

Reply to
Central Gardens Convalescent Hospital Mona Armstrong

My grandmother had one of those. They sell windshield repair kits at autoparts stores. The instructions are slightly complicated. They're about $15 and I don't think t hey contain more than enough for 2 holes (conical, I presume). The kits themselves are designed for only one location. Maybe you can find the same material in a larger quantity.

Reply to
micky

Call one of those windshield repair guys and see what he says. The hole will still have distortion using that plastic goo they use but it will keep the bugs out.

Reply to
gfretwell

That's why I suggested calling the windshield guy. If this is really a big piece of glass, he wants the patch to look good. That is not the kind of thing you don't get right on the first try and it is worth the money.

Reply to
gfretwell

Clear silicone sealer

Reply to
Clare Snyder

BTW, my grandparents never did anything about the hole. I was only there during the summer, so I don't know for sure that significant cold would ddi not enter, but I never noticed warm air entering either. The hole was conical and the outside end was only as big as a BB. They had no storm window. . And there was only had one hole. She never had any insects, but the house was in the city, but otoh everyone had a yard with grass and bushes. OT3H, I don't think a bug with wings out would be small enough to get in, and I think it very unlikely and probably hard to do that he would land on the glass and walk in.

OT4H, I have stopped using screens in the summer, I live near grass, bushes, and woods, and I don't get many bugs most nights. Even with it dark out and my ceiling light on. The ones I do get are much too big for a BB hole. There are none right now, midnght 9/10.

OT5H, I have no all-wool suits. And moths don't eat wool-synthetic blends. It gives them a tummy-ache and they know that. I have one tie with holes in it. I assumed it was wool, but if I see it again, I'll check.

Reply to
micky