Small hole in glass window - what's available for fix?

Page 2 of 3

I don't even know what you are trying to say/ask. On those kits with a syringe, the syringe pulls the vacuum with the resin already in the syringe. After the air is removed, then you switch the syringe from the vacuum mode to the pressure/inject mode. If you can't get ALL of the air out of the crack, you can't inject the resin. If a windshield has stone chip with a run (crack) that extends all the way to the edge of the glass it can't be repaired because you can't create a vacuum.

It's has about the same viscosity as Super Glue. Maybe a little thicker.

A hole completely through a windshield? Never.

It's not made to fill in "craters". It's made to flow into cracks. Repairing a stone chip only requires 2-3 drops of resin.
Have you looked to see if this window has stops on the outside that can be removed? If it's not one of those Andersens where they built the damn frame around the glass, why don't you just replace it?
That Permatex repair kit is $12.00 at my local Auto Zone. I don't know how big your piece of glass is, but I'm guessing that you can buy a piece of glass for less than $20.00. If you buy that kit, I can guarantee that you will be throwing away your money.
Add pictures here
✖

100% correct!
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/28/2011 8:12 PM, Home Guy wrote:

Because the laminate layer acts as one side of the vacuum chamber. I suppose if you taped one side of hole and reinforced it with a flat plate held in place by tape or something, you MIGHT have a chance of making it work.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

generzlly will do the trick - at least for a while, if you can get one. Easier to find in red and amber - but clear is available.(or was a couple of years ago)
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 29, 12:57 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

How about just replacing the glass and be done with it?
Add pictures here
✖

Then the resin would just flow in between the "plate" and the glass.
Add pictures here
✖

The big difference is, there is no hole COMPLETELY THROUGH the windshield. Only the first layer of glass is cracked.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:33:31 -0700, Ron wrote:

Clear caulk worked for me last year (similar-sized hole of unknown cause as the OP) - no fogging and no noticable difference to heating bills last winter.
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 28, 8:58 pm, Jules Richardson

If you catch it early and make sure it's air tight then you shouldn't have any problems.
At the first glass company that I worked for we had a couple of rundown apt complexes that used to call us for window replacement. The owners of both were tightwads.
Both complexes had insulated/double pane glass. Instead of replacing the units (if only the outer pane was broken) we would remove all of the broken glass, cut a new piece, and use silicone to glue it in place.
Worked like a charm.
Add pictures here
✖

Never had a callback. As long as the dessicant is still good it's a quick fix. Now, we NEVER did this on a customers home, nice apt complex, business, etc....ONLY on these 2 complexes that had tightwad owners.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 17:28:11 -0700, Ron wrote:

It was one of those things I figured I'd get around to doing properly this year, then ended up too busy :-) It's right in the bottom corner of the window, with the curtain covering it on the inside and a flower bed on the outside, so I do kind of forget it's even there.
I suspect it was caused by a stone from my mower and I just didn't spot it immediately - but right before I first found it there was a male woodpecker bouncing around on the ground right outside the window. It did make me wonder if he got all territorial and pecked his reflection ;-)
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖

On AHR I don't think you should refer to a horrible hack as worked like a charm. Someone might do that to their tenants, but this is home repair, not alt.fu.some.one.elses.hovel.
--
Dan Espen

Add pictures here
✖
Wide clear packing tape from work. If you have a job.
Jr.
Add pictures here
✖
If you work in a factory with a shipping department.
Jr.
Add pictures here
✖
sealed units are supringsly cheap. in pittsburgh area i take double pane units to pittsburgh window and door. they disassemble the frame:) measure and build a brand new sealed uit all in one day. with a 2 year warranty
Add pictures here
✖

IF, you can find a glass shop that still makes their own units. Most glass shops don't mess with that anymore because it's too time consuming.
Add pictures here
✖

Yeah, sent out to be tempered.
Add pictures here
✖
on 9/27/2011 6:30 PM (ET) Home Guy wrote the following:

There are too many responses so far for me to read them all, but double pane window glass has argon gas between the panes. Any repairs will result in a cloudy film between the panes, and also the insulation value of the argon filled panes. Find an Andersen window dealer in you area or go to the Andersen window site and see about a replacement. It will be the whole pane with frame. Write down the numbers located in the lower left of the window glass to get the right replacement.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Not all of them.
Add pictures here
✖
on 9/30/2011 3:27 PM (ET) Ron wrote the following:

Then there's no problem. Just replace the broken pane. I though he had the insulated double pane glass, but you know better.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY