Small flat roof

We currently have a small, 290 square foot flat roof that has some sort of hot tar, or tar paper, or mopped tar roof.

A roofing guy eyeballed it today and suggested a product, something he called "modified" which was some sort of rolled material.

His guess was $1500-1700 for this 290 square foot roof. Is that reasonable?

Thanks!

Reply to
Duncan Tuna

see:

these guys do my flat roofing and my pitched roofs they come recommended to be and now by me for years. if you tear off all the old crap and dispose of it yourself with a permit into a dumpster or and repair or replace the the sheathing and eaves and fascia wood and put in a properly pitched roof in your climate's zipcode with desired or required railings and gutters and downspouts, with excellent workmanship, what is it worth is the question. if you want that roof to last 20 years it's probably worth $100/year. we found this company by asking who put in a flat roof at davis plumbing supply, and lou told me about try-lock. he said it took him years to find a good company to fix his flat roof problems.

Reply to
buffalobill

Only if it's torn off, any sheathing needing work gets done, they haul away all the trash, and install it correctly at the lowest price you heard from them, IMO. It sounds a little high, and the roofer shouldn't have been guessing. 10 years ago, I charged about $250 per 100 ft/sq, so inflation seems to have run rampant. Tom

Reply to
tom

Thanks to both of you. -- He did say a couple of contradictory things .. one was that because it's getting to be winter, it'd be less cost .. but the next was because of the hurricanes, the parts' cost have gone up.

-- Both of you referenced "tearing off" .. honestly, I dunno how you'd do that with what's there now. Maybe you could melt some of it off .. it's more of a coating, although some of it is bubbling, and some of it is crispy, like paper of some sort. Quite frankly, I'm kind of afraid of what's under it. -- Can't they just put the rubber mat on top of that stuff?

Also .. the roofing guy was just doing a quick clean of my gutters, and I asked him to eyeball it. -- Quite frankly, I HATE it when guys won't give me a ballpark estimate.

Me: "What's a ball park figure, just a guess?" - "Oh, I dunno." "Ok, is it a million dollars?" - "Oh, heavens no!" "Ok, half a million?" - "No, it's more like $2 grand." "Aha! You did know the ballpark."

Now, sure, no one wants to give a figure that's wrong .. but so often, I just wanna know what ballpark I'm in, because I truly have no idea. It could be a $1000 job, it could be an $8000 job. What do I know. I fully realize that they may quote me a ballpark, then be $500 off. If it's more, I'd need to hear why the ballpark figure was off, and I'd be reasonable about it.

Reply to
Duncantuna

Hey, the guy called back .. lowered his price to $1400. So I've got that going for me.

Reply to
Duncantuna

I have no idea if the price is fair or not, but I don't think his statements contradict themselves.

Parts have gone up and he's saying that his labor charge will go down. I guess because there are fewer requests for roof work this late in the year. Most people try to get it done earlier, before it is too cold to be done at all. AFAIK, most roofers in temperate climates have some other career for the winters, but? maybe yours doesn't?

mm