Small engine troubleshooting

Page 2 of 3
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 02:39:29 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster

business card stock is "12 pt" or "100 lb" stock - and 12 point means the paper is 0.012" thick.
That just happens to be "close enough" for most Briggs engines - with specs ranging from .006-.010 on the lowest, to 10-14 on the highest, with most spec'd at .008 - .012, and a few at .012 - .020.
Don Y explained on 1/12/2016 :

Heat up the spark plug and try starting it.
On 1/13/2016 10:08 AM, Eagle wrote:

I've never heard that one. What does that do? Heat it, how? Pot of boiling water on the stove?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Getting the plug up to temp will evaperate gasoline quicker and start a cold engine faster. I do this with My mower [as well as shoot a little gas into the plug hole] and 9 times out of ten it fires right up.

Yes, and don't forget the carrots and onions.

range plug won't start any easier than a cold one (at least not the first time). A cold plug may foul quicker -- but that's a different subject.

What has the heat range got to do with the engine starting if it is clean and not caked up with carbon or some such ? If the plug is clean the heat range does not come into play as far as the engine starting.
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 11:58:02 -0500, Stormin Mormon

out any moisture, evaporates any fuel, and removes any oil fouling. - making the plug more likely to fire if adequate fuel and spark are available,
Works good for starting flooded engines. I've also on occaision held the torch over the plug hole and pulled the rope. It sucks the flame into the cyl and very quicly clears a flooded cyl.. Just stand back, because it can blow a bright blue flame a few inches out of the hole too.
On 1/13/16 4:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

How do you handle the resulting fire or explosion?
--
The lion may be King of the Jungle, but airdrop him into Antarctica and
he’s just a penguin’s bitch.

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

Won't happen, but do what anybody knows dial 9-1-1
--
Tekkie

On 1/13/2016 4:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

There once was a man from Morass, who cleared with a torch of brass.
I leave it to gentle readers to write the rest of the limerick.
I've cleared flooded by remove the spark plug and then yank the start cord several times. No blue flames for me.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/13/2016 05:07 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

flames shot out of his ass
yer turn!

our neighbour's cottage at Amberly Beach when I was a kid. The cottages were down a bank from the road, with the cottage roof just above road level, and parking at the road. The wife was doing some painting while the husband was doing some roof repairs. She washed out the paint brush with coleman fuel and dumped it down the hole in the outhouse. Husband came down from the roof for a "dump" and a smoke.. He's sitting in the outhouse and lights his cigar, then drops the lit match down the hole,, between his legs - igniting the vapours in the pit You can guess the rest........
Then, about a week later he got back up onto the (single plain "shed" style ) roof to finish his repairs, tying a rope to the back bumper of the car up by the road, using it to keep from sliding off the roof by tying it to his belt. The good wife decided to go in to the store at Point Clark to get fresh bread and milk, and pulls the car out of the parking lot, launching poor hubby over the roof and into the parking lot where he had his still tender backside dragged through the gravel until wifey figured out what had just happened..
He said if he didn't know her better he'd have swaorn she was trying to collect on his life insurance policy!!
On 1/13/2016 9:42 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You for real? Sounds like some thing copy and paste off Snopes, or Truthorfiction.
I've seen Coleman fuel give a bit of a whuff when it's poured on wood and lit with a match.
Emergency! did that one about the rope on the bumper, I think it was in season six.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/13/2016 9:08 PM, Barney Fife wrote:

He pulled on the starter

Tell aunt Bee that Stormin says hey.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca formulated on Wednesday :

Yep.

Ah, and I thought blue flamers only came out of body orifices.
--
Tekkie

Tekkie® explained :

Mine is orange. Do I need to adjust the air/fuel mixture some?

It happens that snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca formulated :

True... :D