Small Engine Troubleshooting

I have a Craftsman, Eager-1, 6.75 HP vertical engine. It starts and runs, but only until the gas that was pumped in through the primer bulb is used up. The carb will not pull gasoline from the tank into the engine to keep it running.
I've replaced the carb to engine gasket and the air cleaner to carb gasket. The primer bulb works so that it appears to be sealed and without leaks, yet it fails to pull fuel from the tank into the carb bowl and on into the carb. Anys suggestions? I sure could use some advice.
Colormegoneii

In many cases, the fuel path for the primer and "continuous run" are different. Eg: in some motors, there's two fuel lines into the fuel tank. If the "run" one plugs, you'll get exactly the symptom you see.
[I have a prehistoric chain saw that eats alternate fuel lines every year or two.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Float sticking or gunked up fuel passages in the carb. Drop the bowl, clean out the crud, spray some carb cleaner through the passages, run some injector cleaner through. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

I just fixed a mower last evening that did the same thing. I took off the fuel bowl on the bottom of the carb, lowered the float with my finger until gas ran out. Then I sprayed carb cleaner up into the needle valve and all ports within view. When I replaced the bowl, it ran great. If it had not, I would have gotten a carb rebuilding kit. However, 90% of the time this works, unless the gas has turned bad and gunked up the whole carb.
I always replace the tank to carb hose. They seem to dry up fast, and for 25 cents worth of hose, why not.
PS. Taking off the bowl can sometimes require a new bowl gasket. Yet, I often reuse the old one, since I dont have a new one handy. Half the time the old one works fine.
Mark
Sounds like a metering jet which is clogged. Some of the Craftsman engines are made by Tecumseh.
Tip the mower on its side, and pull the nut from under the bottom of the carb. Look for a tiny hole which is supposed to supply the gas. The hole is aobut half way up, on the side. It's just about big enough that you can barely see it. Hard to find something to clean this hole, cause it's so small. Sometimes if you hold the bowl nut away from your body and blast it with ether starting spray, it rinses out the hole. (Shield your face and eyes; don't have any source of fire nearby).
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.