Small engine to run auto A/C unit

How big? any ideas?

I am just wondering if you could cludge together a car A/C compressor to an evaporator and make a gasoline A/C.

Reply to
Greg

Yea, it's called a car. Check with GM or Ford, they will sell you one.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I want something that lasts longer than that.

Reply to
Greg

I have read that they can require something like 10 hp to spin at "hiway" speeds - 2000 rpm? Sounds like an interesting project. It would require some sort of electrical supply to engage the clutch, at least on the compressors I have seen. It seems like the electric clutches draw quite a bit of current also, just by watching the volt meters in the cars and trucks I have had. Maybe a 14-18 horse kohler or briggs would have a big enough charging system to keep a auto battery going for a while anyway. Good luck, and keep us posted. tad

Reply to
ottertailfamily

Toytoa?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That was what I was thinking too. Maybe our Irish guy wasn't that far off. Maybe a motorcycle engine. I figured I would spin up an alternator too to run the evaporator. I doubt the one on a bike would be enough.

If you folks haven't figured it out I am going for a hurricane A/C plan without having to buy a pad mount generator. I already have a propane fridge and a gas kitchen.

Reply to
Greg

If you really need AC that bad, buy a generator large enough to run it. It will be cheaper in the long run than what you are thinking!! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

How do you figure that? I can probably come up with most of the parts I am talking about for free or a few bucks. As another thread here said a generator to run a 3.5 ton AC will be huge.

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Don Young

Yup I have seen lots of Fridgikings, just never with the cover off

Reply to
Greg

I wonder if it is possible/practical to buy a reefer unit from a trailer at reasonable price? Duct it into the house through a window and crank it up.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Get a PTO-driven unit for your tractor.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Do you really need to run 3.5 ton? How bout a window A/C for comfort in 1 or 2 rooms and a small generator??

Reply to
ThePetPage

I don't have a window an A/C will fit in and I am not cutting a hole in the wall. Regular "double hung" windows are rare in old Florida homes.

Reply to
Greg

I do heating and AC work for a living, and I would not even bother with what you want to do, even if all the parts were free! Trust me, a genny will be much easier, cheaper in the long run! You must have a ton of free time on your hands! Lets see,

12-14 HP engine, Oversized fuel tank, R22 compressor, Electric clutch, Controls, Condensing coil. Then somebody that is licensed to charge it up! (good luck with this part!), then on top of all this you still would have a electric condensing unit for the rest of the time, and somehow interconect the two. Do you live in a city, one that requires permits? If the city inspector saw this in our city, it would not fly. No UL label? No install in our city! Seems pretty crazy to me to build something you will use a week or two out of every 5-10 years! Greg
Reply to
Greg O

I thought I read somewhere that reefer trucks now use liquid air instead of compressors. Seems logical as liquid air provides plenty of cooling power using minimal hardware.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Yes

junk motor cycle?

Got a bunch of boat cans

Cars run fine on R134

Junk car?

I have one of those $20 licenses and the tools but R134 is OTC and cheap.

This would just be a portable unit for a room or two.

Reply to
Greg

But a generator to run the load generated by a typical automotive (15,000 BTU) AC would be lots cheaper.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Check out the power unit of a "reefer" or refrigerated trailer, (like those used to haul produce) That will give you a good idea of the size of the components you will need.

wq

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland snipped-for-privacy@charm.net

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

There is a county livestock show barn in west Texas cooled with an oil well chiller unit.

Reply to
Andy Asberry