Small Engine Repair

I have an Echo leaf Blower that no longer runs. I would like to rebuild the carburetor. I can go to the Echo web site for information or I can go to the Walbro (the carburetor maker) web site for information. Unfortunately the two sites differ.

It is a Walbro WYJ-316 Carburetor (as stamped on the body). The Walbro site lists 6 different gaskets and diaphrams. The ECHO web page for the same carburetor lists 4 gaskets and diaphrams and infact if you disassemble the carb, there are 4.

So...no brainer you say.....I bought the ECHO rebuild kit....it came today with 6 gaskets and diaphrams. So I ignore the 2 extra gaskets and rebuild my carburetor....wait...there is a rubber Oring (about .2 inch diameter), what the heck is this for? It doesnt show up on any documentation from either web site....so I ignore it too and reassemble my carburetor....

Crap! it doesnt work. There is something about the primer bulb that is not sucking up fuel. The entire fuel line is dry and no amount of priming will suck it up. I soaked the pieces in Gumout for 24 hrs and as far as I can see all holes are clear

Where do I look? I took it apart again and everything appears to be in the correct place and orientation. Do I use all 6 diaphrams and gaskets? Is this where I break down and buy a new carburetor? I think I need some expert help.

Links to the exploded diagrams follow (both ECHO and Walbro sites): Echo:

Go to page 26 Walbro:

JMagerl

J,

If the primer bulb will not draw any gas through the gas line it may be the gas filter is gunked up. Take a fresh piece of gas line and attach it. Now see if the bulb will draw gas from a cup through this new line. If that works then you need to replace the filter in the gas tank. It's a small cylinder usually.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Item 9, page 26/27 is the o-ring.

Were your gaskets/diaphragms properly orientated so as to not block any holes/vents, etc?

Oren

Oren

Are you sure its getting spark.

Reply to
m Ransley

BTW, Item 10 is a jet and may need cleaning. Since you wondered about the O-ring ...it's under this jet. (might not be on all models, though).

It appears the kit is for a variety of models. Some parts may not be applicable or related to each model.

Oren

Spark is OK. THe orignal problem was that it would start in full choke but would stall when I tried to turn the choke off.. As far as I can tell all the gaskets and what not are in the right orientation ( after the third try - long story involving a kitty cat that wanted to help).

Will look at the jet. I will look at the fuel filter again too. It looked OK when I had it out but when I originally took the carb apart I noticed some crude on the inlet screen (in the carb). I had a previous leaf blower that had the fuel hose split allowing it to suck all sorts of junk into the carb. Thats what I was expecting when I started this project.

Reply to
JMagerl

This is why I prefer electrical blowers chainsaws etc. Depending on 2 cycle engines I spent moree time fixing machines than doing the job:(

Installing some convenient electrical outlets around the utside helped dramatically

Reply to
hallerb

So it ran with the choke on? It's fuel/air mixture as my guess....starving for fuel..

Use caution, but I would pull the spark plug and pour a **small amount** of fuel in the cylinder, replace plug and crank. (I'm wondering if a piston ring is gunked up). Try to run the engine again.

Let us know...

Oren

i bet you used the gasket that covers the hole between the primer block and the carb,one gasket has the hole,one doesnt. lucas

ds549