small engine interchangeability?

I have an old (1970?) Kohler K141, which is not doing real well. There's an auction coming up which lists a number of small engines (none Kohler) in that hp range.

Are these engines sometimes/ever interchangeable? If there's a reasonable possibility, I'd look into more details; but, if every mfr and model is unique, I'd rather not waste my time.

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

depends what the engine goes on.. id rebuild that kohler if i were you

ds549

For a lot of applications there is quite a bit of interchangability. The main variable is the output shaft size and type, there are a number of variations there from straight shafts with key ways to tapered shafts to threaded, etc. Outside of that for a given HP engines from different manufacturers pretty well match on form factor and mounting points in most cases. The closer parts of the item the engine goes in come to the engine the more potential there is for interference with parts of a different model engine. Best you can do is take the relevant measurements and go measure possible replacements to see what will fit.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Try looking here...

Rick

According to George :

In some applications, it's nothing more than bolt circle, shaft size & type, engine rotation, and shaft orientation (vertical versus horizontal).

In other applications, it's _real_ picky. I'd hate to have to substitute a different motor for the 12HP Kohler in my lawn tractor. It has to fit inside the cowling, and have appropriate "points of contact" for all of the various add-on bits, clutches, drive shafts etc.

Kohlers are _good_ engines, and parts are still available even for the very old ones.

I'd make a serious attempt to rebuild it first, before chancing a "modern" (all too often "throwaway") substitute.

If rebuild fails, you'll want to call Kohler with your model and spec number and see whether they have a drop-in replacement for it.

Kohlers are sufficiently well-respected, you can buy "rebuilt" motors as well.

[There's a thriving group of folks who like nothing more than to soup up and race/"tractor pull" Cub Cadet tractors, supported by a network of people selling performance enhancing accessories, know-how, and including reconditioned (and souped-up if you want) motors. Yes, you can rebore my old 12HP Kohler to put out 20HP, as long as you remember to put extra bracing around the block/cylinder to prevent the rebored cylinder from launching into orbit. I'm just using it to mow the lawn thank you very much.... Doubling the power of a Homelite weedwacker motor, tho, made more sense to us ;-)]
Reply to
Chris Lewis