Small engine help

the engine on my lawn edger has started pulsating. the RPM's go high and low. It has been sitting for awhile, but I do put gas saver in my gas before winter. The edger is about a year old, If I hold the throttle linkage it runs smooth, the linkage move when running. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Start with a good external cleaning of everything that moves, especially the linkage. Look for things rubbing, sticky, etc.. WD40 is good for cleaning. Air hose helps some too.

Reply to
Pop

Check the governor linkage. That is the flapper under the cowl and the skinny spring to the carb. There may also be an adjusting screw.

Reply to
gfretwell

I would look for some sort of air leak, a loose screw or two (on the edger, not you). I doubt if it was the gas, but it is possible that it has gummed something up inside. If so since you can get it running, it should clear out after a few more uses. Next year try to let it run dry after the last use and dump the old gas in the your car's tank (unless it is a diesel.) Even if you normally mix oil in it, it will not hurt the car.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

check your air filter..sometimes when they get dirty they will do that. Is it a briggs and stratton engine with the carb mounted to the fuel tank??? If it is sometimes the carb base will warp and it will suck air between the carb and the tank and get the same effect.

Reply to
digitalmaster

Well you have gotten several good suggestions. If nothing is apparent right off, I would put some SeaFoam or similar product in the gasoline per instructions. You may have developed a little varnish, moisture or other contaminant in the carb over the winter. Sounds like it is lean.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

Reply to
John Lawrence

SeaFoam is the latest rage of gasoline additives similar to "Gumout" for cutting carburator deposits, carbon in combustion chamber, pick up moisture from fuel, etc. I have little experience with it but several on a small engines list I monitor have good things to say about it. Our local Farm Supply Store has it, I would expect most Auto Parts Stores and perhaps, Wal-Mart. $5 - $6 per can.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner