Small engine help

the engine on my lawn edger has started pulsating. the RPM's go high and low. It has been sitting for awhile, but I do put gas saver in my gas before winter. The edger is about a year old, If I hold the throttle linkage it runs smooth, the linkage move when running. Any suggestions?
Start with a good external cleaning of everything that moves, especially the linkage. Look for things rubbing, sticky, etc.. WD40 is good for cleaning. Air hose helps some too.

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:35:04 GMT, "Sacramento Dave"

skinny spring to the carb. There may also be an adjusting screw.
Sacramento Dave wrote:

I would look for some sort of air leak, a loose screw or two (on the edger, not you). I doubt if it was the gas, but it is possible that it has gummed something up inside. If so since you can get it running, it should clear out after a few more uses. Next year try to let it run dry after the last use and dump the old gas in the your car's tank (unless it is a diesel.) Even if you normally mix oil in it, it will not hurt the car.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Is it a briggs and stratton engine with the carb mounted to the fuel tank??? If it is sometimes the carb base will warp and it will suck air between the carb and the tank and get the same effect.
Well you have gotten several good suggestions. If nothing is apparent right off, I would put some SeaFoam or similar product in the gasoline per instructions. You may have developed a little varnish, moisture or other contaminant in the carb over the winter. Sounds like it is lean.
Walt Conner
I'm not familiar with "Sea Foam". What is it and where can it be obtained?

SeaFoam is the latest rage of gasoline additives similar to "Gumout" for cutting carburator deposits, carbon in combustion chamber, pick up moisture from fuel, etc. I have little experience with it but several on a small engines list I monitor have good things to say about it. Our local Farm Supply Store has it, I would expect most Auto Parts Stores and perhaps, Wal-Mart. $5 - $6 per can.
Walt Conner