Small engine carburetors - again

Overhaul of these carburetors keep coming up here and there is some very good advice if you search for it. This is a "how does it work" more than a "how do I get it to work" question.
Two years ago there was an excellant post here from Bob M. describing how those ridiculous spring linkages work. I think this link might work: http://groups.google.be/groups?hl=nl&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=jKCdncQcpI1P5F6jXTWcog%40comcast.com&rnum=5 Could someone go a step further and describe how the throttle butterfly controls engine speed? (I have always associated butterflies with chokes and was surprised to find them used at the "other end".) I can see that it can stop air/petrol reaching the cylinder but does it also somehow control the petrol that is sucked into the carburetor? e.g. by reduced air/petrol flow reducing vacuum sucking petrol through "needle"?
A bit of knowledge can save so much work . . . Robert
Yes, Robert, the carburetor is designed so that the fuel flow is controlled by the air flow. In other words, the air to fuel ratio is basically constant. So when the air flow is restricted by the throttle butterfly, the fuel flow is reduced in proportion. Don Young

http://groups.google.be/groups?hl=nl&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=jKCdncQcpI1P5F6jXTWcog%40comcast.com&rnum=5