Small Engine Carburetor Rebuild or Replace?

Page 2 of 2

Depends on what's wrong with the carb. If it just needs a rebuild kit, which is gasket, needle valve, etc, I've bought them on Ebay for 5hp snowblower engine for $10. In my experience, cleaning it out completely, which requires the rebuild kit, is usually all it needs. If it needs that plus a float or float bowl, etc, that need to be replaced, then you can find out the cost of that vs buying a new one. It also depends on your skills and if you can follow repair instructions. One caveat, the rebuild kit I used did not include the gasket to mount the carb to the intake. Make sure you buy one of those too.

Have you priced a new carburator lately? Do it and you'll answer your own question.
reply: That's when you can find them. There isn't a huge stock of carburetors at the local store, and a lot of them are out of production.
I have an updraft carburetor on a Lincoln welder with a Continental engine. I had to rebuild it myself, and that included making new gaskets. It works. On some of the older models, you can fergeddabout finding new carburetors.
Steve