small engine carb float leaks

the old float had a leak, got a new float, it also had a leak....
sigh.....
tried to solder up the floats, but one still leaks and i've yet to put the other one to a full test yet. bet it leaks....
getting yet another float seems too much like a crap shoot.
is there some kind of sealant that keeps carb floats from leaking? shellac or epoxy or something?

Usually a gasket. Are you talking about the floating float body itself actually leaks and fills with gas, or gas leaks out of the carb body where the float bowl joins the main body? If the float fills up, it's cracked. Otherwise, I'd see about a gasket. You can even make one.
Steve

the float body itsef is filling with gas. the old float was cracked and i did a quick fix to get it limping along till i got a replacement. still leaked
then the replacement float sank. pinhole in the solder seam. gaskets are not an issue, as i got the rebuild kit, and the engine worked great with the new float for about 24 hours.
I also have a tank problem, but thats another completely different issue, which i'll be posting about in the future.

Should be possible to seal it if you can find where it is leaking. Either solder or epoxy. You don't want to add much weight to the fix though.
First problem to fix it is to get it empty to begin with. Then to find the leak, put in a pan of hot water and spot where the bubbles come from.
Harry K

Why in the world are you putting up with a defective part? Take it back and demand a new one. After all you bought a part, not a do it yourself float kit. If enough returns are made the manufacturers usually tighten up their quality controls so you are doing them a favor.
Joe.

and maybe after i demand a few hundred new ones to get one that doesnt leak they'll tighten up quality? ordered online, cant remember where, dont have the receipt, shiping charges were 50% of the purchase price, item was new in box, made in the 1000's in some china shop where they were the lowest bidder.
the defective part has(had) one pinhole. less hassle and cost to get some permatex and fix it. not the "right" thing to do, but the best way to get my problem resolved.

If you fix this leak, make certain the float is empty.
J-B WELD, or some type gas tank sealant? I've never fixed a float, but have had one sink.
-- Oren
Tater,
For a small hole a dab of permatex will work. Be sure you buy the permatex meant for gasoline environments. I think it's the "blue" stuff. Ask the guy at the auto parts store.
Dave M.
I use a product called Sealall. Available at most hardware stores. Works well with gas.

I would want a new float free to replace the bad float. Seems fair.
But if you decide to repair it, you don't know how much gas is in this one, and I think it would be hard to guess. Gas changes the weight of the float, and that raises the level of gas in the float bowl (outside of the float) and the level is critical. So maybe you have to enlarge the hole and drain out the gas, and air dry what doesn't come out, before patching the hole.

I replaced the float on my step-father's '64 Chevy, but kept the old float. It was shaped like a swollen U, something like dice, so I hung it from my rear-view mirror. Eventually the gas evaporated from the side with the leak, but I think it took years.

Before, it was called BLING? I've replaced floats; but never repaired one.
(The float is only leaking below the gas line?)

-- Oren