Small, constant basement leak pipe

I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at t he nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the en tire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would tak e a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowi ng sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks
"Frank" <> wrote in message I found a dripping leak in the drain down the basement from my kitchen at the nut connection. I suspect a plumber most likely suggest replacing the entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks
You could just wrap it with self-vulcanizing rubber tape till you get a chance to do it right.
On 9/11/2015 2:15 PM, Frank wrote:

Given the size, are you talking about a drain pipe? If so, take it apart and get a new washer at the hardware store. Another option is to just try tightening it to see if that takes care of it.
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:21:35 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

e entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not k nowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

Not clear what kind of connection this "nut" even is. It doesn't sound like the typical slip joint fitting under a sink at the P trap because he says it's in the basement.

Yep, try to tighten first.
But don't do anything in the middle of the night. Wait until you can run out to the hardware store if needed. Sometimes you just touch a problem and it gets worse and then it really needs to be fixed.
--
Dan Espen

On 09/11/2015 01:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

yep.
I had one that leaked and I fixed it by putting RTV around it.
One day I decided to do things right...figured the washer might have been mis-seated.
Took it apart and there was no washer at all... when I added one...no leak ever again.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 13:52:02 -0500, philo

I read this as, there was no water at all.
No wonder it wasn't leaking anymore, I thought.

Well of course. No water.
--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus

Metal or plastic.
If you can't fix it the right way, described by others, and it's metal, use PC-70. You can put it on while it's dripping and it will still harden and stop the drip. But while it's hardening, it can sag and you have to keep pushing whatever sags back where it was. This took abou 10 minutes. Use enough to go all around the pipe and be an inch wide and 1/4 to 1/2" thick. Buy the pair of 4 oz cans. It lasts more than 20 years if you make sure none of part A ever touches the stuff in the part B can, and vice versa. I use two popsicle sticks or two screwddrivers, and I mix it on a glossy piece of cardboard, so I can throw that away. Like frozen vegetables come packaged in. it washes right up before it hardens, so you can clean off the screwdrivers and your hands easily. . if you want smooth, lick your finger and wipe it smooth. Oh yeah, it tastes terrible, That's why God gave you 10 fingers.
It's strong so if this leak is at a joint where you might want to take it appart, bear iln mind that it may be hard to break off.
--

Stumpy Strumpet
the bimbus

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/Boothbay_bucket/5d85baf4-cfef- 422b-adce-1b9261123977.jpg [/URL] This is the problem i am the OP i hope this forum accepts photos..otherwis e i do not know how to include a pic here and search did not help
On Friday, September 11, 2015 at 2:15:44 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant leak a t that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I would t ake a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not kno wing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nu t. Thanks
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/Boothbay_bucket/5d85baf4-cfef- 422b-adce-1b9261123977.jpg [/URL]
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Sep 2015 06:45:47 -0700 (PDT), Frank

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w120/Boothbay_bucket/P1010003%20Mobile_1.jpg[
images are a log easier to read without the html tags on them.
On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 1:30:27 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

he entire pipe, which would put me in a bind, just for a slow, constant lea k at that area. Is there something I can do to stop it from leaking? I woul d take a picture of it but i am waiting for my nephew with his camera. Not knowing sizes of pipes, but to me it looks like the diameter of a 1 1/2"-2" nut. Thanks

Image is what i copied..don't know why both showed up and BTW, that was not the edited version I thought i sent. I turned the pic which is horizontal, not upright as shown. Don't know how much or how little of water drops unl ess i stand there all day..i assume whenever i use the kitchen sink and the water drains that is when it happens.

move, or shake old galvanized water or drain pipe. If the pipe is still solid, and well supported, you COULD try disconnecting the union, removing the union from the pipe, and replacing just the union with a new one - using good pipe dope on the threads - not tape. - but I "strongly supect" going this route will break a pipe somewhere - giving you the incentive and opportunity to replace the galvanized drain with PVC.