Small Concrete Projects

I have some concrete repair to do and I am considering using a Skill HD77 worm gear circular saw and diamond blade to remove the old concrete. Does this seem like a good approach? Any experience with this approach. Anyone have alternative ideas? I don't won't to go the rental approach because I have a lot of small applications that I will be doing over many weekends and don't won't the expense of repeated rentals.

I assume that I will have to supplement the sawing process with hand cold chisel work to completely remove the concrete, is that correct?

Philly

Reply to
philly

that saw will work fine for cutting grooves into the concrete. It wont cut all the way through unless you have thin concrete. we usually cut the concrete as deep as the saw will go then we use a hammer gun to break out the section. make sure you use some water on the blade unless you like to have a lot of dust. they make dry and wet diamond blades. You can use water on the dry blades just to keep the dut down.

Reply to
PAUL100

I think I would rent a saw for that work. I don't think I would want that concrete dust getting into a good worm gear saw.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I would go to harbor freight, get the diamond blades, and an corded saw. I would not use an good tool for cutting concrete. Spend as little as you can on the saw. This saw should be treated as disposable.

You will need gfci protection cause you need to keep water on the diamond bit. Even if they say "dry". The blades last a lot longer if you use some water.

As others have said your just going to get part way through. (usually) and then you will have to break out the rest. Sledge hammer works ok for this. Consider a roto hammer/hammer drill for the removal.

Reply to
SQLit

If you have any significant amount of concrete to cut, rent a gasoline operated cutoff saw. It will be $50-60 but it goes right through 4" of concrete.

Reply to
Greg

Depends on how much you will be cutting. Keep in mind the typical saw is made to cut a couple of 2 x 4's and maybe a sheet of plywood and then it sits for a while to stay cool. If you are cutting a long strip you can burn out a saw in a few feet to maybe 20 feet. Give it a rest requently. I've seen two saw go in one day from abuse. One did maybe 15 feet, the other a bit more, but the idiot using them never stopped ntil it was too late.

Anyone

If you have little luck with your saw, talk tot he rental place. Explain why you don't want to rent, but would be willing to talk if you could get some sort of discount for multiple uses. This works better with the local hardware store than Home Depot.

Another advantage of renting. The big machines have larger blades for deeper cuts. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

snipped

Rental yards that I have been to also charge by the wear on their blades. Get all of the information up front before you rent.

Reply to
SQLit