small (but painful!) wasp/yellojacket nest on ground under sticks: KILL;HOW?

Page 2 of 2
Sevin dust will definitely work.

I got rid of a nest by spraying it well with Easy Off Oven Cleaner.

For mediocre self defense when getting close to the nest, try a tennis racket. They're not too tough to hit, and one blow cuts them to pieces, and also launches them away from you. I normally bring one with me when working in my dad's garage. It tends to be a popular place for wasps. 5 min after I arrive, there's no more wasps around. And I've never been stung.

i have been stung twice by these small 'ground wasps'. it was when i was mowing grass and ran over the underground nest.
the stings were extremely painful, about like getting a shot with hot water in the needle. the mark where they stung lasted a long time.
just regular outdoor insect spray worked for me to rid the wasps, but they may not be the same as yours. i live in texas.
Yeah, I can still use my right hand for typing, like now, but that's about it. Twice as thick as the other hand. Called HMO, they said come in, maybe for a shot....
So, I gotta get rid of these beasts!
What I have is this: depression in front yard maybe two feet across 8inches deep, near street; so, to protect people from stepping into and tripping, I put wood from blown-down branches, to make level with surface.
(rocky ground 2 inches under, hard rains, loose dirt just washes away, probably what I did is stupid, but it *was* quick and easy.)
Anyway, after remnants of katrina or something up here in NY state, branches blown down, so I added a couple, AND GOT STUNG -- twice, on cheekbone, and on back side of right hand. Cheek ok, hand twice normal thickness. And I go to doctors-office (they said to) in 10 min.
And, damn it, I don't want to get stung again!
So, how to get rid of nest or whatever?
------
Only one or maybe two of them went after me, and that's all I saw. No "swarm" So probably not a HUGE nest.
So, two questions:
1: main one: how to destroy wasps or whatever they are (it is?) without getting stung again?
2: secondary one: how to fill depression, when below ground is almost solid rock? (result must be wasp-less!)
Thanks,
David

Call a professional. Write the check and the problem is history.
It'll be resolved by the weather in a little while.
Bert Byfield wrote:

Please say more!
What about the following spring? Will they "wake up" or whatever and I'll have the same problem again, same place?
Thanks,
David
Have to include my story.
Was trimming bushes and next thing i know i am in a cloud of yellowjackets. I was wearing jeans, gloves, long sweatshirt and got stung on my knows (everything else was covered). Ran for about 20 yards flailing them off until then went inside. Turns out about 20 were on my clothes and they swarmed me inside. Still waiting for weather change before killing them.
My sister had good luck with 'Cyfluthrim Tempo 1% dust' but it is something used by professionals.
kubie
Home Depot: RAID in the black can. Its kills them in about 1 microsecond, never seen anything like it. Buy 3 cans and empty one right down the hole and surrounding depression. Do this when nearly dark and there won't be any outside.
Also, if you can get your car next to the next, you can drive up and squirt out of the window, and close the window FAST if they get angry.
Good luck!
Dean
What the world needs. More drive by shooting.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

You might have to stay in the car for a while...

Aren't there sufficient holes or other ways into the car-interior that if some do get in there with you, you're in for a pretty hard time.
David
:) Please say more! :) :) What about the following spring? Will they "wake up" :) or whatever and I'll have the same problem again, same place? :) :) Thanks, :) :) Usually not in the same place. This time of year the queens for next year are being raised and will fly off to Winter over in a protected area...many times in the walls of homes in which the warmth of the house can attract them inside at times. They will fly off next Spring to start a new nest, maybe under ten feet of the original nest, maybe 1/2 mile.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Good answer. Thanks.