Small battery backup?

Page 2 of 3

Last year I bought a new alarm clock at Wal-mart. It cost about 12 dollars. As soon as I plugged it in it displayed the correct time. It even corrected when we went on daylight time and again when we went off of it. With frequent power failures it still shows the correct time when the lights come back on. Naturally it was made in China. I have no idea how it does this (it is NOT an atomic clock).
---MIKE---

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:24:04 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

Is that clock called "Intelli-Time"?
That clock does NOT set the time automatically. It's pre-set and has a small battery to maintain time. There's a fake display when it's plugged in that serves no purpose other that making you think it's setting itself.
BTW, Mine became useless when the battery died.

Mark Lloyd
Mary Carlson wrote:

There is no such CHEAP thingy for an entire house.
Suppose you had something along the lines of UPS commonly used for computers and the like. Now suppose you had a power interruption while the electric oven was on, the electric water heater was trying to catch up, and you were ironing clothes.
The current suckage would turn the baby UPS inside out!
One long-term fix is to buy appliances with their own built-in battery backup. Or appliances that don't rely on the power mains. For example ALL my stand-alone clocks are battery operated.

ALL UPS are overcurrent protected. They just shut off and scream a alarm
Mary Carlson wrote:

You could always wire in an electrolytic capacitor at the internal DC power supply output feeding the clock circuit of each appliance.
Jon
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 07:52:39 -0800, Smitty Two
[snip]

I never use the clock on my microwave (and the clock on the stove doesn't work and ISN'T going to get fixed). I suppose you'd want it if you leave food in the oven and expect it to start cooking in time for (some scheduled) meal. I don't like scheduled meals.

When you're so badly addicted you can't get out of bed without the smell of coffee.
BTW, as far as I can tell, coffee provides little or no benefit (as a drug). Most of what happens is disability caused by the addiction. Same for cigarettes (and why would you set fire to something stinky, and stick it in your mouth anyway?).

I wish more clocks would do that. However, it depends on having some connection with the outside (internet connection, satellite dish, cell tower, WWV radio, etc...) considering that time (not time itself of course, but what clocks show) is entirely artificial (as can be seen with the numerous time zones and Damn Stupid Time).

I suppose. I very seldom need a clock except to deal with OTHER PEOPLE who make use of clocks.

Mark Lloyd

At one time there was talk about the PoCo was going to start sending time signals on the lines and all this electtronic garbage would automatically sync up. I havent heard about that in a long time so I guess it was an idea that died.
Jimmie
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 07:52:39 -0800, Smitty Two

If you want it to make your coffee in the morning so it is ready when you get up.?
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 14:32:13 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Mine does that & it has no clock. $10 coffee maker plugged into a $5 timer. Probably the 5th coffee pot on the same timer over the past 20 years.
Jim

Maybe the need for an internal clock comes with modern electronic controls. Many new appliances suffer from "power amnesia" and refuse to be on when switched externally.

Mark Lloyd
Mark Lloyd wrote:

On a lot of stuff, other than lower assembly cost (and looking Kewel and hi-tech), I gotta wonder why they went to electronic controls. On some things, electro-mechanical makes a lot more sense, and lasts longer.
-- aem sends...
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:36:06 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately the majority equate "electronic" with "better", so that's what the manufacturers give us.
The clock gets thrown in because it costs them next to nothing to do so and gives them something else to put on the feature-list - and lots of folk buy based on features, even if they don't need 90% of them and the design is compromised as a result.
Technically someone could make a coffee maker that lasts 20 years, is fully servicable, and doesn't cost the earth in parts. But where's the incentive to do that when they can just as easily market an inferior product with a shorter lifespan, safe in the knowledge that people will keep coming back for more of the same? </rant>
Jules wrote:

But wally and friends have everyone programmed to think that cheap prices are all that matters. Anyone who buys from wally/big box etc has voted for what they have been told is important to them.
George wrote:

They do make such. They are sold to large cafeterias and are found on Navy ships, firehouses, and Marine bases.

Yep. After my third Black&Decker sooper-dooper coffee maker (at ~$40/pop), I opted for the $9.95 model from Walmart and plugged it in to a generic timer out of the junk box I'm good to go.
It doesn't last any longer than the B&D one, but it's far cheaper to replace.
George wrote:

Try buying a real telephone- single line, no answering machine, no caller ID, an actual handset that fits the head instead of some dainty nonsense designed by a stylist. Unless you delve into commercial sources or online, you can't. Retail, if they have corded phones at all, just has the disposable crap that isn't even heavy enough to stay on a table when you lean back in the chair while talking. I NEED a single-line corded phone with speaker and mute, for days I work from home. Can't find it in any stores around here. Hesitant to buy a pig in a poke online. Don't want anything that needs a wall plug or backup battery, don't need caller ID (which I refuse to pay extra for on principal) or speed-dial or anything like that. I have plenty of the old-time real WE phones for the other rooms, but need the speaker and mute for conference calls.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

A lot of my work involves telecommunications and I would recommend this particular phone to you:
http://www.phonemerchants.com/vo28onelicop.html
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

the hell is Vodavi? I could probably live with it, I guess, but I would prefer a real brand name. And no battery- 48 volts should be enough to stash a little away to keep the memory hot. But thanks for the real-world recommendation.
Googles- a generic supplier since '83. LG is a current behind-the-scenes OEM for them. I guess that is long-term by today's standards. I miss WE.... :^(
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Vodovi supplies a lot of business phone systems that you may not come into contact with. Believe me, they supply a fine product that's on par with many of the business phone systems that are available. Of course, many parts may be identical to those of other brand names. Sometimes a piece of phone equipment may be internally identical with one from another manufacturer.
TDD
-snip-

For any youngsters that aren't familiar with the WEs-- here's what they look- and sound- like. ['splains why we 'dial' a number, and what a phone 'ringing' means] http://www.boldoldphones.com /
Jim
Prinicpal: The pal of yours at the school office. Often has a vice principal, and secretary. Principle: How something operates. Or guiding factor in your life. "I don't pay extra, on principle".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus