Smal insects in kitchen-HELP

"malam" wrote

Fllour is the most common entry point for them.

Reply to
Cshenk

"malam" wrote

Yes. 3-5 days is all it takes. I get new flour and freeze it as well as all rice and my cantonese noodles. Those 3 are the most common problem items in my home.

Reply to
Cshenk

"malam" wrote

Most welcome. By the way, I do not know where you are writing from or where you shop, but some areas are just more prone to this. It doesnt mean the shop were you buy products is a bad one unless you ave consistant problems with products just from that one place. Anyone can get a 'less than perfect' load and not know it. Some areas are more prone to the problem as well. Lots of shoppers get confused and bad mouth a particular shop over a one time occurance.

Rule of thumb is hotter the climate, more prone to this problem.

I have an extra chest freezer so lots of space. I just freeze it all and never have a problem anymore.

Reply to
Cshenk

"franz frippl" wrote

I dont think he cares what they are, just how to get rid of'em.

Reply to
Cshenk

Don't store grain, seed or nuts for too long - they can always have bugs and it's best to eat before they hatch :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Roaches love newspaper for nesting.

Reply to
Norminn

Crazy! The only grains I keep for long are rice and flour, which I keep in sealed jars/cannisters. Pasta should be fresh, not stored long. Cellophane bags are much better than boxes for isolating any critters. Rice and pasta can also be cooked and frozen - works great. Just heat up in microwave.

Reply to
Norminn

"malam" wrote

More likely. Doesnt mean they are 'bad places' though, just comming from an area prone to problems.

If you get a bad bag and can tell which one it is, the shop keeper will doubtless appreciate knowing and will replace it as long as it was bought within a week or so.

That works! I have one basket for this in my chest freezer. Rce, flour, pastas, grains, even boxes of cereal for the kid. Grits, oatmeal. All those things freeze just fine with no loss in quality.

Reply to
Cshenk

Keep in mind that mice like gum -- at least around here.

No need to upwrap them either -- a mouse had no problem getting into a cupboard under the stairs and into a backpack where it found a pack of chewing gum. Mouse and gum disappeared leaving the shredded gum wrapping behind!

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar