Smal insects in kitchen-HELP

http://dearreader.typepad.com/dear/2004/11/how_to_get_rid_.html
"malam" wrote

Once you clear out all infected products, start freezing all dry items for 3 days before relocating to the cabinets. Keep larger jars with tight lids once you clean them out, and when you get new dry goods, after freezing for a bit, relocate them in those.

Will freezing for a couple of days kill the eggs ?
"malam" wrote

Yes. 3-5 days is all it takes. I get new flour and freeze it as well as all rice and my cantonese noodles. Those 3 are the most common problem items in my home.

"malam" wrote

Most welcome. By the way, I do not know where you are writing from or where you shop, but some areas are just more prone to this. It doesnt mean the shop were you buy products is a bad one unless you ave consistant problems with products just from that one place. Anyone can get a 'less than perfect' load and not know it. Some areas are more prone to the problem as well. Lots of shoppers get confused and bad mouth a particular shop over a one time occurance.
Rule of thumb is hotter the climate, more prone to this problem.
I have an extra chest freezer so lots of space. I just freeze it all and never have a problem anymore.

I think the problem could be from the imported stuff from the tropics. Now that I understand the issue better, I 'll be able to deal with it better. I plan on creating a room in my freezer - more like a 'quarantine' area.
"malam" wrote

More likely. Doesnt mean they are 'bad places' though, just comming from an area prone to problems.
If you get a bad bag and can tell which one it is, the shop keeper will doubtless appreciate knowing and will replace it as long as it was bought within a week or so.

That works! I have one basket for this in my chest freezer. Rce, flour, pastas, grains, even boxes of cereal for the kid. Grits, oatmeal. All those things freeze just fine with no loss in quality.
malam wrote:

and it's best to eat before they hatch :o)