Sluggish Toilet

Page 3 of 3

Oren wrote:

I'd be cautious on the quantity, but the small amount of acid relative to 1,000gal or more volume in the septic tank shouldn't be a problem. Doing the baking soda flush would add another level of safety.
If you're really paranoid, remove the toilet and do the whole acid flush thing in the back yard using a garden hose to fill the tank. Do the baking soda thing to neutralize the acid on the ground and flush well with the hose.

-------------------------
I like the neutralizing acid with baking soda hint.
If someone is on septic and concerned about the acid affecting the action of their septic, here is a simple receipe to get the 'good' bacteria in the septic going again.
2 C. Brown Sugar 5 C. Warm Water 1 pkg Dry Yeast
Stir to dissolve the sugar. Flush it down the toilet and wait an hour before running any water.
4ax.com:

Her own toilet, you can't use it, but she wants you to pull her shit out of it,...hmmmm. How bout "Yer toilet, yer ass, yer shit, yer problem."
Pump 'er ass full of hydraulic cement.
Does the bowl fill slowly? Or does it fill, and then the water stays in the bowl?
If the water fills up high and drains slowly, please consider trying a closet auger.
http://www.google.com/products?q=closet+auger+&hl=en
You get about what you pay for, the eight dollar ones are weak, and tend to twist and get ruined. The Ridgid one for $25 works nicely. High water and slow draining, sometimes the drain gets partly closed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Just to point out that just about 20 years ago when you said the toilet was installed, many jurisdictions started requiring the use of Water Saver toilets. These toilets used about 3.5 gallons of water instead of the approximately 5.5 gallons of the older toilets. And just like the current low-flow (1.6 gallon) toilets, the first of the 3.5 ones were not ready for prime time, so they didn't work very well. You may have one of them. If so, there is not much you can do other than 1) raise the level of the water in the tank to close to the top of the fill tube and 2) hold the handle down until you get a complete flush (or replace the flapper with one that is designed to close slower).
--
Peace,
BobJ

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:43:50 -0400, "Marilyn & Bob"

Yes, it is a water-saver model. Color is ivory. Most of the time it is OK but with a "heavy load" it blocks up partially. Thanks for the closet auger suggestion. Are any of the Drano like products worth trying?

Snip
A repost that may be your problem :
I had a toilet a few years ago that had similar problems.
In the end it turned out that my teen age daughter dropped a stick of deodorant into the toilet. Instead of doing the awful thing of reaching into the toilet bowl she decided to just flush the problem away. The stick made the turn around the first part of the S curve but couldn't go any further. It was stuck in the middle of the S curve. It was not visible and a toilet auger would just bypass it. I tied a three prong fish hook to a sturdy string and flushed it. It would catch something but couldn't pull it out.
I finally took the toilet outside and maneuvered a 1/4 inch rope through the S curve and tied the rope to an old fashioned mop head. I attempted to pull the mop head backwards through the S curve and with it the obstruction but this didn't work either.
I still had no idea what the obstruction was. My daughter never admitted to having any knowledge of the missing stick of deodorant.
After a few months of putting up with a toilet that would clog easily I took matters into my own hand. HAMMER! DEODORANT! ANGRY!
After I calmed down I went to Home Depot to get a new toilet. It was only then that I discovered that the size (3.5 gallon) and the color (Harvest Gold) was not available. I settled for a 1.6 gallon white Kohler.
A few years went by with my mis-matched toilet and then my neighbor had a garage sale. In the sale he had his old 3.5 gallon Harvest Gold toilet left over from his updated bathroom with a "free" sign on it. Bingo. I'm back to being matched again with my 70's style bathroom.
P.S. I do not have a avocado refrigerator

Not no, Hell NO! Strong alkali can do a number on the trap glazing. The glazing on the better grade toilets is there to keep the turd velocity as high as possible. Acid is safe to use, don't experiment.
Joe
NSN wrote:

Children's toys have been known to lodge out of sight in the toilet trap.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:36:50 -0400, Blattus Slafaly

So do female products. Prison Visiting Rooms are the worse.