Sluggish Toilet

Page 2 of 3

Changing the subject, again. You lose.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You lost years ago...

few people really understand how mr toilet works, and knows what the inside of the bowl rim looks like./
my neighbors ghot sluggish, he replaced the toilet and smashed it too see.
bowl rim nearly completely filled with sediment, our water is very hard

Absolutely false. Chemistry labs for eons have used porcelain items for working with string acids. Strong alkali, like sodium hydroxide, is a different matter entirely, and will easily etch a glazed surface and slowly attack some porcelain artifacts. HTH
Joe

Acids can attack non white porcelain.
Window open, to get lots of fresh air. As you'll be creating a big cloud of carbon dioxide. A couple Tums or Rolaids will help neutralize acid.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The first flush will move most of the acid downstream, so the subsequent bucket flush with baking soda solution will be doing it's neutralizing in the pipes where the CO2 produces will exit the vent stack.

My parents had that problem, it was to much toilet paper. One square is all she should get. Try raising the water level.
NSN wrote:

Does it have that little hole in front of the big hole? Sometimes that gets clogged with deposits. You need that clear to start the siphon action after you flush on that type toilet.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

<giggle>
<heehee>
<hahahah>
oh...
On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:10:49 -0700, NSN wrote:

Drano or another like product will poison your wife. Look for other options.
(c;|>
Sugar free chocolate, maybe, more fiber.
Some of the newer toilets that use less water will suck a small child down the drain.
Check out a replacement at the Big Box Stores in your area. That's for a replacement toilet, not a replacement wife.
I sure hope this helps. It has done wonders for me.
See you back at the ward! I only have day privilege for now.

Muriatic Acid is a strong, corrosive, inorganic acid (HCl), manufactured by absorbing hydrogen chloride in water. It is one of the most corrosive of acids, and is particularly destructive to cellulose, breaking the cellulose chain into even smaller units, resulting ultimately in its complete hydrolysis. It is the same chemical as Hydrochloric Acid.
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Slow-Toilet for more info
Google muriatic acid toilet and get 36,000 hits.
Note the above about cellulose, If some paper is sticking, it will take care of it.

This link states NOT to use muriatic acid IF on a septic system. Said to kill the necessary bacteria. Instead use a septic safe product.
Something not mentioned prior to your link.

Hi I am hallerb and have used muriatic acid on several slow toilets with no bad effects. other than they flush fine when your done:)
as long as the toilet flushes solids properly with a bucket of water, then the acid should work.
you can use CLR or even vinegar, but thats slow expensive and not nearly as effective.
hard water clogs the interior bowl rim passages, slowing the wave action that actually creates the flush.
people with this problem have several choices.
use a bucket to flush solids
replace the toilet with a new one.
or use acid.
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:07:30 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I've used this (your) acid trick and about to do it again.
What about septic tanks, acid, etc.?

i dont think acid and septics are a good idea.
better to pull the toilet, do the acid treatmenty outdoors, flush well with hose, and replace toilet.
when doing toliet, I always flush repeatedly at least 10 times afterward.
you could also tape all the drain holes shut and use vinegar oivernite.
frankly ithe acid is quick easy cheap and effective
better to pull the toilet, do the acid treatmenty outdoors, flush well with hose, and replace toilet.
when doing toliet, I always flush repeatedly at least 10 times afterward.
you could also tape all the drain holes shut and use vinegar oivernite.
frankly ithe acid is quick easy cheap and effective
========= Yes, it works very well, and is easy and cheap. As I said before, I had all the lines snaked by Roto-somebody, at a cost of close to $300.00 and still the toilet wasn't running freely. After your treatment, it was like a "miracle in a bowl" LOL and the toilet really is sparkling clean afterward with all that gunk out of those little holes. The only thing that you have to be careful about is not splashing on yourself, and as you say open the window. I put a portable fan in the bathroom before I started, opened the window, and turned the fan on on my way out. Really, not much smell left at all afterwards.
Cheri
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:15:40 -0700, "Cheri" <gserviceatlodinetdotcom> wrote:

So what do you do with the left over acid?

save for future use? flush it down the drain? give to a friend for his or her toilet? besides you can buy small containers and its cheap.
its not a violent reaction, muriatic acid is also used to clean brick

Actually, I used my pool acid to acid wash-out toilet rim passages.
As of today, I do not own any.