Sluggish garage-door opener

I have a Sears chain-driven garage-door opener that's about ten years old. It's in excellent mechanical condition but lately it's very slow to begin the opening or closing cycle. I find myself having to push the remote button for 8-10 seconds at times before anything happens.
The batteries are newly replaced, I've tried repositioning the pickup antenna, but so far nothing seems to help.
What am I missing here???

IMHO,
I would do what you are doing, rule out reception. I would try and stand inside the garage and test the remote. Ifa difference is noticed, then it might be reception. Also, I would take a look at everything, rollers, chain, supports. Ask myself, "does anything look wrong?"
Post a followup.
later,
tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

If you push the hard-wired button on the wall, does it open immediately?
If so, then the problem is related to the receiver/transmitter. Perhaps your transmitter button is worn out. Try cleaning the switch or use a spare transmitter.
peter wrote:

I'll second that approach. We have Craftsman units which are about 20 years old now and still going strong, and the transmitters (and the receiver too I suppose) use slug tuned coils which set the RF operating frequency.
I recall having to tweak the slug in one of the transmitters to get it to operate as far from the garage as our other units.
I drilled a 1/8" hole in the case so I could reach the slug with a tuning tool left over from the old vacuum toob TV set days and adjusted the slug by trial and error tweaking as I moved away from the garage.
Worked for me...
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia