Slow spin cycle problems

Hi Have a GE Model WWA5600SBLWW washer. The final spin cycle slows down in proportion to the size and weight of the wash load. Just moved the washer away from wall and took off back cover to look at drive belt. First thing I noticed was was looked like oil on the floor where washer was sitting and when looked in back of washer, look like a lot of grease or lubricant has really be thrown around. At one spot on back cover it even soaked through. Question is - obviously such a thing would cause belt to slip. With all the oil or grease, do I have a much more serious problem that would warrant a service call, or even washer is at least ten years old - would it be just as cheap to buy a new one as to get service? My limited knowledge of these machine would indicate to me a transmission or bearing problem. I have noticed when the final spin cycle seems to run as fast as it should with a light load, it is make a metallic clicking noise.

Any and all help appreciated!!!!!

Butch snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

Reply to
Butch Hinton

Hi,

New transmission time.

Also probably got int othe clutch assy which can make it slip too much as well.

New belt, tranny and possible clutch....probably still cheaper to repair than replace, esp if you do the labour....but the costs are gettign close to a new one.

transmission.
speed clutch. 6" diameter.
belt fits GE, Hotpoint, and RCA washers.

Getting noisy from the lack of oil inside the tranny!??!

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Not that it is relevant to the guys problem but as far as I know British washers dont have a transmission or clutch, why do US washers have them?

John.

Reply to
JhnWil875

Hi,

This is not written in stone, but front load washers normally don't have a transmission or clutch while the top load washers do. Front load washers often use a variable speed motor and electronic control for different speeds and cycle. While the top load washers use an clutch, transmission and 2-3 speed motors for the different cycles. In North America the trend was towards a top load washer while in Europe the trend was towards front load washers.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff