Slow leak on boiler return line

I have a very slow dripping leak along the boiler return line (threaded black pipe), a few joints away from the actual boiler. I would rather not repair now as it's too cold to lose heat for a day: drain the system (and finally install shut offs on either side of the boiler!), cut the pipe, install a new union, refill, purge air, etc. It looks like the pipe dope on this specific threaded connection may have been insufficient.
Is there anything that I can apply to the outside of the joint (epoxy, etc?) that would stop the dripping until I can deal with this next Spring/Summer?
Thanks. -Theodore
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 10:44:57 -0800, vasilica snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Lemme get this straight Theo......... We've just started to get into the winter season. You want to wait till Spring/Summer to repair it? What are you going to do if it goes completly in the middle of the winter on a Sat evening? Id suggest fixing it right at the earliest opportunity. Otherwise, I hear bubble gum and scotch tape make great leak repairs. Bubba
Bubba wrote:

He could use a clamp and boot? But what's he gonna do about other parts of the pipe that soom will be leaking? I'm thinking he should call a qualified, licensed, insured heating / boiler repair company. Take a loan, use a credit card, or pay cash, which ever works and rest assured his property won't go scathed when it finally bursts.
--
Zyp

What will you do if it leaks worse in mid January and the temperature is 40 degrees less than it is today? There is nothing on the outside that is foolproof. Plenty of things (epoxy, JB Weld, etc) may get you an hour, day, month, or more, but long term, it just does not hold up in most cases.

Ok. Thanks for the advice.
Duct tape.
--

I\'m Ernest T. Bass;
and, I approved this message.

Yea Elmers glue and Duck tape work great , Try it, im Mr Hack visit my website.

Is this a new or older boiler?
-zero