Slooooow!

Page 5 of 5
On 04/08/2016 11:19 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I've read that some municipalities (sorry, can't remember any names) are installing their own public fiber networks but are being sued over competing with commercial enterprises.
Perce
On 08/04/2016 19:43, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

the telecom companies to install it when the telecom companies won't do it because of the high cost to particular properties.
--
Bod

I wanted to keep my dialup, but was in a hurry. Now I figure I'll dig out a modem when the time comes, and hope I haven't forgotten how to do the initializing string.
I found dial-up fast enough for email and newsgroups, and audio. Slow for the web and too slow for video.
Last night I got my friend's computer working and downloaded 5000 emails, representing 78 days since January 19. It took over an hour, and it seemed very slow. This was DSL but wifi, with a big CRT monitor right between the router and the wifi receiver. Would that make a difference? I know at 80 feet wifi is slower than Cat5, but what about at 18". Is it any faster than, maybe because of fewer lost packets? Anyhow, I did other things during the hour.
On 04/05/2016 11:58 AM, KenK wrote:

I had dial-up as a backup for the first few years after getting cable internet. Now, I use a 4G device (https://yourkarma.com /).
BTW, we got cable internet in 2003, but DSL won't be available until this summer (IIRC). Maybe that's because the cable has been so good.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/