Sloan Flushmate

Page 2 of 2
For some reason, my church has a LOT of these. The maint guys tell me they break often, and are constant stream of complaint calls.
Very disappointed with Sloan Flushmate. 3 years ago I bought 3 pressure assisted toilets for my home and 8 for my business. The toilets are made by American standard with a Sloan Flushmate pressure tank. Just recently I received a recall card. Apparently the tank can crack at the seams and even explode. So I called with the S/N and they send me a repair kit. When I opened the box I started laughing, then I got angry. They had a pressure regulator and straps to go around the tank. Obviously they do not trust the regulator and this is why they send the straps. Im surprised they did not send duct Tape. I called Flushmate and they gave me the run around telling me it was approved by so and so and she even through a few government departments in there. I try to buy US made products thinking there better made and they will stand by their product, I paid top dollar for those toilets. I should have bought Chinese product for of the price and just change them every 5-6 years. I got a pressure assisted toilets for a reason. Save water and still do the job with the assistance of pressure. So now I have to install a pressure regulator and drop the pressure, so now my toilets will not do the job that where intended to do. The flushmate employee was telling me that they will do the job, trust me they dont. Dropping the pressure from the house to the toilet from 60 PSI to 25 PSI has a big difference.
[...]
Rather surprisingly They sell/sold these in the UK too. They are a years old firm, we had no problems with them. They were tank fed but in a ten floor building, so worked at 50 psi or so. We always had good service from the company, they worked direct from the USA. The only parts ever needed were new diaphragms. The rest was very substantial bronze castings. All very nicely machined up.
The mod offered is a reasonable fix. So long as the tank has not actually split it will be OK. Probably the shock load is the problem as these valves close. Obviously it is a cock up, must be quite embarrasing.
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:42:47 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

You thought wrong.

Yes, that is exactly what you should have done and what most people now do.
When you buy high-price American, you a paying the price *now* for a *promise* of quality that isn't usually delivered.
Our firm has filed a class action lawsuit against Flushmate as we believe the "repair kit" does nothing to repair the problems with the flushing system. We are interested in talking to owners of Flushmate III systems housed in toilets by manufacturers such as American Standard, Kohler, Gerber, and others. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact our office toll-free (866) 474-9999 or snipped-for-privacy@birka-white.com.
On Monday, July 30, 2012 9:42:47 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:51:15 AM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They say that its made in The United States but I have serious doubts about it. I think that its probably assembled in the US but the parts Im betting are made in China. I would appreciate it if anyone who has first hand knowledge would either confirm or contradict my theory.

[...]

it. I think that its probably assembled in the US but the parts Im betting are made in China. I would appreciate it if anyone who has first hand knowledge would either confirm or contradict my theory. The pressure regulator in the repair kit does not reduce the pressure in the tank, it reduces the rate at which the tank is pressurized. It will take longer to refill the tank between flushes, but that's about it. Probably they found that pressurizing the tank more slowly reduced the likelihood of an explosion.
The stainless steel band that goes around the plastic tank keeps the tank from catastrophically exploding, but it does little or nothing in terms of stopping leaks in the tank.
Kind of odd that the screw holes for the metal band were already in place on the plastic tank. I suspect that they were going to include the band as part of the original product then decided to save money by not putting it in.