slippery ramp

I recently purchased a fancy new trailer which has and integral ramp. The rear door folds down like a garage door to make a ramp. The problem is that the ramp gets slippery with all the ice and snow around here. Who has ideas on how to make the ramp less slippery? Someone said that stick-ons like they use in a bathtub would work. I don't know how durable that would be. An idea I had is a spray liner on like they use on a pickup truck. Any other ideas out there?
Lawrence in Minnesota
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 19, 9:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Stick on non slip stuff works and comes in many witdths and work. You could use paint and throw on sand before it dries. You would need to put it in a garage and warm it for glue or paint to adhere and cure.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

How about something like this:
http://www.handiramp.com/non-skid_install.htm
You might try a google search on: "non skid" ramps
Add pictures here
✖

Thank you for that most helpful reply. That option would be far more durable than any stick on or spray on product.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 07:27:37 -0800, lwhaley22000 wrote:

Put down a piece of 1/2" ply and nail a row of roof shingles to use as a walkway. Two rows for a drive on ramp.
Add pictures here
✖
here's a novel concept. Keep it folded up when it's snowing and icing. pull it down to use and it's nice and dry .

✖

I think I would use the spray on liner. My neighbor used it on his trailer fenders that were getting all chipped up from stones and it worked well for that. It should hold up well on the ramp and also provide better traction.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 07:27:37 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

??, but it depends on what this ramp (slippery portion) is made of. Wood? Metal?
Oren --
Add pictures here
✖

The ramp is for foot traffic and is made of painted plywood with a metal strip at the base. It would be inconvenient to keep it folded up when not being used considering the climate. Thanks to all for the replies.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:48:02 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Consider cleats - securely mounted. Like this sample pic. They give you some traction and reduces slips.
http://www.majesticfloats.co.nz/images/contruction-final.jpg
Oren --
Add pictures here
✖

excellent post oren. I always have matl on hand for cleats and i don't see much downside.
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:51:49 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Cleats work ... I've seen them used on chicken coops :), loading ramps for other animals. ..the animals don't slip so much.
Oren --
Add pictures here
✖

tnks for the comment. cleats are no good for me I decided since I have several tool on wheels that would be difficlut to roll in and out. my air compressor and also the oxy-acetylene torch are both on wheels. so i'm thinkin that the industrial marine stick on stufff is my best choice. thanks to all, lawrence
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Everybody so far wants to reinvent the wheel. Go to local industrial trailer store or farm supply (like for farm/horse trailers), or even a regular industrial supply, and ask there. They have stuff like the bathtub stickers on steroids, that won't fall off in a year, and have enough 'tooth' for your boots or cart tires to get a grip, short of an actual layer of ice. Stuff I have seen comes in rolls. It ain't cheap, but quality stuff seldom is. Note that the substrate has to be wax and grease free before you apply it, and probably wants warm temps as well. So unless you have a warm garage, you may be SOL till spring. If you don't like the tape, they also sell actual non-skid matting that could be glued to ramp in a sheet, but that has the downside of trapping moisture under it.
aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

One way might be to use expanded metal. It looks like a grate. This link is to molded fiber glass grating: > http://tinyurl.com/36a8k4
There are some metal alternatives at the same site.
Dean
Add pictures here
✖

great post, dean. very helpful.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 19, 10:27 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Consider products used in marine applications where water is a given.
http://www.csctextiles.com/Nau.htm http://www.kofflersales.com/Product.asp?cid=23&pid=36&gclid=CLHLtL3IipECFSUwlgodhVzjHA http://www.ecosafetyproducts.com/Safety-Tapes-Treads-s/49.htm?gclid=CKimzcvIipECFQ2kHgodYCNc-Q http://www.fishing-catalog.com/seadek/index.htm
Add pictures here
✖

superb post, derbydad. those products look to be ideally suited for the purpose.
Add pictures here
✖