Slip Proof stuff for wooden deck

I have a wooden deck and whenever it gets wet from rain or dew it becomes very slippery. I have fallen quite a few times on it, and even fell over the edge twice now. This is dangerous and something needs to be done about it.

I know someone that had a similar problem and got these glue on things that look like coarse black sandpaper. They work, but dont last long and need to be replaced all the time. I am looking for something more permanent. What can I use? I have considered using an oil based floor and deck enamel, and spreading sand in top of it, then repainting over the sand. I have also thought about nailing down some roll roofing, but know that will crack. I dont really want to paint the whole deck. I like the look of the wood, but will paint in front of the door if necessary, to prevent getting a broken leg.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

That works.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

indoor outdoor carpet? Also, if you don't want to go the sand route -- there's paint with ground up rubber bits already in it. You just roll it on.

stuff like this:

mark

Take a look at this:

Rick Shaw

Limit your intake to two beers before going outside.

If you have a decent marina or boat shop/supply place in your venue, go down and talk to the folks about antiskid coatings. Another possibility is an industrial supply firm. Some products might cover over the wood look that you like, but consider the jury awards if you have a litigious guest take a tumble. Good luck and be safe.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Sand isn't the best option, as it is too coarse. Years ago sailors used ground nut shells, but today they use anti-skid compound, which are tiny particles, I think of glass, that feel like very very fine sand. You just mix them into the paint and apply the paint, stirring every so often to keep the compound from settling. Once this has been applied, the deck feels fairly smooth, but is very resistant to slipping. Get the compound where they sell marine paints, or online at someplace like West marine.

I have also thought about nailing down some

Reply to
William Brown