Slightly OT Tire Pressure

I'd have it filled about 2 lb over the recommendation and just leave it. I don't see the pressure unless I turn the screen t that page or if there is a low warning. Tires have a pretty reasonable tolerance. No sense going nuts over it

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We've never had a warning indicated. Instead, SWMBO started exploring the various displays on the various screens shortly after purchase (makes sense to familiarize yourself with a new vehicle). She then became fixated on that display when she noticed the one tire losing pressure (i.e., she made a point of checking it each day and noting that it didn't "track" the other tires).

There are three screens/displays in the car. The one that shows tire pressures shows very little else of interest -- the various odometers, oil life, instantaneous fuel economy (also available on one of the other screens), average speed/hours driven (on this tank of gas), etc.

It also shows some *dynamic* displays -- e.g., if you alter the volume, channel, etc. on the sound system, that is displayed briefly, overriding what would otherwise be displayed. I think there is an option that allows the driving directions to appear there ("turn left", "turn right", etc.). And, the lane departure warning system uses it (we didn't opt to purchase that "toy").

It's much easier to keep the tire pressures "consistent" in the non-winter months as the temperatures tend to vary less.

Reply to
Don Y

Makes sense.

I run about 2 lbs over the pillar sticker also.

In the winter, I run 3 over. It may not make a difference, but it makes me feel better to have a slightly smaller footprint.

On my (daughter's) 07 Civic, the only vehicle that I can run minus one wheels on, I do that for her snows.

SWMBO just picked up (stole!) a pristine 03 Honda Element AWD (69K miles) that had never seen salt until this month. It came with Dextero DHT2's (Walmart). They are brand new but I don't think she likes them, even in the little bit of snow we have had. I'm torn between a wheel and snow package vs. just getting her some decent all-weather tires and selling the DHT2's while they are still in decent shape. I'm sure the DHT2's will wear sooner than I'd like and I'll be replacing them in a year or two anyway.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They have always used the Kirkland label, for the 25 years I've been a member.

I haven't seen any reduction in name brands, although they do switch them from time to time. The Kirkland raisin bran was superior to the Kellogs, but they've switched back to Kellogs now.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Copper River salmon has been replaced by Kirkland's brand. Planters Peanuts by Kirkland.

[These two come to mind quickest as they are on the list of items to purchase this week at Sam's]

"Kirkland" doesn't make anything. For the most part, they REBRAND other products.

The argument goes that Kirkland (Costco) is "standing behind" the brand -- so you shouldn't care whether they are buying their peanuts from Planters, Goody's or Joe's House of Peanuts.

This gives them the freedom to play with quality and price (profit) to *their* advantage. The difference between "them" and any other "name brand" is that I am NOT free to purchase Kirkland products elsewhere.

We tend to find brands that we like (Kirkland is not a "brand") and stick to those -- until they screw up. Then, abandon them. (Sony comes to mind).

So, when Costco decides "they" can brand a better product (which might be the original vendor's product with Kirkland's name on it!), we just go find the same original product, elsewhere.

[This is the reason behind most of our trips to Sam's, nowadays -- on a neighbor's membership]

The same applies to Trader Joe's. SWMBO has enjoyed many of "their" products, over the years. Then, they discontinue them (no doubt because it makes economic sense FOR THEM -- hopefully, the customer will adopt some OTHER of their products as a replacement. If not... ).

This is where we "learned" the approach of just taking "dropped" businesses elsewhere. The latest TJ "losses" include their sherry (we use a lot in our meals) and their Vegetarian Chili. The former we just opted to *pick* another supplier (criteria: must not be TJ's), The latter, we now purchase the exact same chili under it's REAL NAME: "Amy's".

[Currently, they are trying to up-sell cauliflower to the organic variety so those purchases will move, as well.]

Prior to that, their dark chocolate covered almonds in cocoa powder (I now make these by hand, having not been able to find a suitable vendor), their coffee-flavored candy (they dropped one of the flavors), their bean salad, etc.

I.e., if you are going to make me find an alternative, then why would I want to reward you by choosing one of YOUR alternatives?

This year, we will probably drop our "executive membership" at costco in favor of a standard "business" membership. The "rewards" won't cover the additional cost of the premium membership!

Reply to
Don Y

heh heh heh

Reply to
Tekkie®

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc posted for all of us...

I guess you never thought of DAGS did you? I thought not.

Reply to
Tekkie®

LOL! Do his own research? Ah, you kill me. That's funny.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I have no idea of the tire problems, but Aluminum oxidizes (rusts) as soon as it hits air, and then wouldn't the wheels be fully oxidized before the tire was even put on?

Reply to
Charles Bishop

Here is the government rule on the TPMS. While not 10 years ago, not too far from it. Compliance Date:? Consistent with the phase-in commencing October 5, 2005, all new light vehicles must be equipped with a TPMS that meets the requirements of the standard by September 1, 2007, with the following exceptions. Vehicle manufacturers need not meet the standard?s requirements for the TPMS malfunction indicator and related owner?s manual language until September 1, 2007 (i.e., at the end of the phase-in), and vehicles produced by final-stage manufacturers and alterers must be equipped with a compliant TPMS (including a malfunction indicator) by September 1, 2008. However, manufacturers may voluntarily certify vehicles to FMVSS No. 138 and earn carry-forward credits for compliant vehicles, produced in excess of the phase-in requirements, that are manufactured between April 8, 2005, and the conclusion of the phase-in.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yes, we have a Discount Tire chain, here (with a store a block away from this Costco) that has similar policies. When we purchased rubber for the last vehicle(s), it was a toss-up on price and benefits between Costco and Discount Tire. We opted for Costco as we interact with those people more often (many of whom recognize us and/or know us by name) and the few bucks the added buying affords us in our annual "rebate".

And, as we are *there* every week (not at the Discount Tire place down the block), it makes this sort of thing (topping off tire pressure) more convenient. The "cost" being a few extra minutes sitting in the car while the tires are topped off BEFORE we go to park the vehicle.

[We don't do it AFTER our shopping as we typically have perishable items that would like to get home ASAP]
Reply to
Don Y

That is what Tire Discount does for me. The other week my wife ran over something and it bent the edge of the rim. I took a new rim to Discount Tire and they removed the old rim and replaced it with the new one, also rotated the tires and put the spare back in the trunk and replaced all the jacking equipment that I had left loose in the trunk. No charge.

One day I was there getting the tires rotated and they fixed a flat for free for another person.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

10% ovderinflation is peanuts. Most cars ride and handle much better (and tires last longer) with10-15% overinflation. Spec on my Taurus is 32. I run a minimum of 36 - usually 38PSI Stops the "tucking" on turns and makes it handle a whole lot nicer. Doesn't hurt the ride either.
Reply to
clare

Real cold summer or all season tires harden up enough to leak at the rim/bead juncture - but they don't get any better as the cold weather progresses. Keepint them slightly overinflated keeps them from rolling sideways as much and can reduce the pressure loss significantly.

Reply to
clare

No big deal. I virtually ALWAYS over-inflate my tires according to the placard. by at least 10% (at 70 degree F nominal temps)

My tires see temp swings of up to 130F degrees (or even slightly more) over the year, not taking into account the heat buildup from driving flex etc..

Reply to
clare

Do yourself a favour and "chill out" A 15% overinflation will do absolutely NO damage to your car or tires. As long as all 4 tires increase and decrease pressure together you have absolutely nothing to worry about. A small amount of underinflation is a lot worse than a moderate (but much larger) overinflation.

If only we all had nothing more serious to worry about!!!!!

Reply to
clare

Wireless RF connection. No wires to ground.

Reply to
clare

For best handling and tire life the "B" pillsr pressures generally ARE too low - but the maximum cold tire inflation pressure on the sidewall is often too high for comfort/traction/wear.

The factory pressures are a compromise between noise/vibration/harshness issues, tire life, ride, and handling.

Reply to
clare

I thought what he said was pretty plain. He CLAIMS the tpms is set 2 psi below the sidewall rating, where it should be 2psi below the sticker rating.

He SAYS he runs his tires 2psi over the sticker rating, which is still less than 2psi below the sidewall rating.

I guess he's too stupid to read his operators manual. He' (and most of the rest of you) have never heard about TPMS calibration??????

You can calibrate your TPMS to just about any pressure you want on virtually any car equipped with factory TPMS system

For a GM truck, here is the procedure.

  1. Over-inflate all 4 tires to 50PSI. Leave the valve stem caps off. 2. Apply the parking brake on the truck. 3. Turn the key in the IGN to the ON position (not running) 4. Press and hold the LOCK & UNLOCK at the SAME TIME on your KeyFob for approx. 3 seconds. 5. You will hear the horn chirp twice and if you have a DIC, it will display something about the tire recalibration learning mode active. 6. Start with your DRIVERS SIDE FRONT wheel. Let air out of the tire (deflate) for approx. 15-20 seconds (literally, it takes that long). You will hear the horn chirp ONCE. 7. Next go to the PASSENGER SIDE FRONT wheel. Deflate for 15-20 seconds or until you hear the horn chip ONCE. 8. Next go to the PASSENGER SIDE REAR wheel. Deflate for 15-20 seconds or until you hear the horn chip ONCE. 9. Next go to the DRIVERS SIDE REAR wheel. Deflate for 15-20 seconds or until you hear the horn chip TWICE. 10. Turn the key to the off position. 11. Inflate your tires to the proper PSI. 12. Turn your truck on and you should no longer have a TPMS light on if all 4 sensors are working properly.

Notes: You have 2 minutes to do the first tire after putting the truck into tire recalibration learning mode. It will time out after 2 minutes. You have 5 minutes to do all 4 tires before it times out. You need to do this every time you rotate your wheels or your DIC will think your front wheels are your rear wheels.

Now I don't want to hear any more moronic bitching about TPMS systems!!!!

Reply to
clare

Actually I was a Costco member for a while some years back-- but once I found out that Jim Sinegal was a co-founder and CEO at the time, I returned my card and got a refund on my membership fee.

Reply to
Wade Garrett