Slightly OT Tire Pressure

Page 2 of 5
On 1/6/2016 7:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Not a question of watching to see that they "are the same". Rather, noting that "the back left is lower than it was yesterday... and more than the day before that... while the other ones are roughly the same as they were".
I.e., if they will change, then they should change in similar fashion. If they are to stay the same, then they should similarly stay the same.
The fact that the dealer was able to find a defect suggests the measurements were accurate ("precise") enough for that sort of use.

Pay for something and then not use it? :>

The technologies that relied on the forward facing camera (lane deviation, smart cruise control, <something> and <somethingelse>) we deemed to be not worth the $1K adder. We drive almost exclusively "in town". The car claims we have spent 99 hours and 59 minutes (!) in the car, since purchase. It claims an average speed of 17MPH for that usage.
At this rate, we'll hit 100K miles in about 20 years...
On 1/6/2016 9:36 PM, Don Y wrote:

From my observation of the past couple of days, it is going to drive you nuts. When I parked my car yesterday afternoon, after adding some air, the two fronts were the same, the two rears were the same. This morning at 19 degrees, all four had different readings. Driving 1/4 mile had them all lower, Driving a couple of more miles had them out of sync again. I know I have adequate pressure so I switched to a different screen.
Given your average of 17 mph, tire pressure is even less worrisome. Crusing for 5 hours on a hot highways it makes a difference.

I put on about 22 to 23,000 a year. This year may be more as we plan to take a 5000+ mild trip in the spring. The smart cruise control is something I use every day and it works well. My favorite option the past couple of days though, is the heated steering wheel.
On 1/7/2016 9:21 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

It's only going to be a problem in the winter months. Last night we went out to pick up a few items. 46F and pressures were 39/37. I have to just not let the tire monkeys decide what's "best" (based on some naive "rule" they have adopted -- without regard to current conditions at the time they go to fill the tires!)

Heat is something we *seldom* need! Aside from "formal functions", I don't think I've ever worn a long sleeve shirt in the 20+ years I've lived here. If I'm going to be outside, at night, in the cold (e.g., covering the citrus trees for a cold spell), I'll put on a long-sleeve sweatshirt for the hour or so I'll be exposed to 30-40F. The overnights when it dropped to 15F I actually wore a winter jacket for that time in the yard -- 5 nights over 20+ years!
The other day, the placement of SWMBO's purse ended up turning on my seat heater (stupid place for controls!). "WTF??! Why is my *ss getting warm??"
When shopping for cars, we saw many black-on-black models. I asked the saleswoman at one place (we were test-driving a black-on-black unit) "Who the hell buys a black car with a black interior in this part of the country??" Her answer, "primarily Asians" (no idea *why*...)
We were annoyed that we couldn't get cloth seats in the cars we looked at. So, we put *towels* on the leather seats (tacky).
On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 22:51:27 -0700, Don Y

absolutely NO damage to your car or tires. As long as all 4 tires increase and decrease pressure together you have absolutely nothing to worry about. A small amount of underinflation is a lot worse than a moderate (but much larger) overinflation.
If only we all had nothing more serious to worry about!!!!!
On 1/6/2016 6:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I guess in the USA, we can worry about politics. Who will be the next leader of the free world?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Another +1 geez...
--
Tekkie

Yeah I use that 80% stuff too and I have a machine in my garage that seems to make it virtually for free I seldom have to add air unless I have a (problem) leak. One thing about my wife's Lincoln is that sensor does not turn off right away, you have to drive a little ways. Trust your gauge.

heh heh heh
--
Tekkie

On 1/5/2016 10:06 PM, Don Y wrote:

From the perfect gas law, pressure varies with temperature: PV=nRT
Temperature is measured in degrees Kelvin so you can calculate potential pressure drops or increases by the ratio of temperatures:
PV/T=P'V'/T'
The constants drop out and if you assume no volume change:
P/T=P'/T'
On 1/5/16 10:06 PM, Don Y wrote:

Filling tires with nitrogen rather than old plain air (78% nitrogen anyway) is one of those things that sounds good on paper and which tire buffs rave about-- but which has little impact in the real world.
Plus I suspect it costs you more in gas to drive over to Costco than you actually save. You also have to let some lead-foot 85 IQ tire installer jerk drive your car while you sit around on a ripped vinyl chair in an uncomfortable waiting room-- or worse, roam around the store and pick up a shrink wrapped pack of 96 rolls of toilet paper or a 5 pound box of corn flakes...
--
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
On 1/6/2016 7:18 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

We can drive the 2 miles to Costco to have *them* put 95% N2 in the tires.
Or, we can drive the 2 miles to the Albertson's ACROSS THE STREET from Costco and drop quarters into the *air* dispenser and fill the tires ourselves.
Or, we can buy a small compressor and find a place to store it for the few times it's needed.
Given that we shop *at* Costco every week, there's no cost to having them do this -- other than waiting 60-120 seconds for the tire monkey to drop what he's doing and walk over to the car (WHILE WE SIT IN IT) to do this for us.
[BTW, there are only 30 rolls of paper in the packages and neither of us eats Corn Flakes]
Have you actually ever *been* to a Costco? Or, are the ones in your part of the world NOT as friendly as ours?
On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 09:16:18 -0700, Don Y

They do that for free?
On 1/6/2016 11:41 AM, CRNG wrote:

Yes. A "membership benefit".
If you purchase tires from them, they will also rotate and fix flats for free (though there are other "tire stores" who will do likewise).
On Wed, 06 Jan 2016 11:49:30 -0700, Don Y

I wonder if SAMs does that? We have a SAMs nearby, but the nearest CostCo is about 40 miles away.
On 1/6/2016 12:33 PM, CRNG wrote:

No idea. We gave up our Sam's membership many years ago. I htink there is *one* in town and it's a 30 minute drive. OTOH, there are two Costco's, here, and one is ~2 miles from the house (I've walked there in the past when I was headed to the Post Office)
We are saddened by their push to put the Kirkland label on everything. You'd think they would see how well that worked for Penney's, Sears, etc.
Also, their push to up-sell is becoming far too obvious.

They have always used the Kirkland label, for the 25 years I've been a member.
I haven't seen any reduction in name brands, although they do switch them from time to time. The Kirkland raisin bran was superior to the Kellogs, but they've switched back to Kellogs now.
On 1/6/2016 1:52 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Copper River salmon has been replaced by Kirkland's brand. Planters Peanuts by Kirkland.
[These two come to mind quickest as they are on the list of items to purchase this week at Sam's]
"Kirkland" doesn't make anything. For the most part, they REBRAND other products.
The argument goes that Kirkland (Costco) is "standing behind" the brand -- so you shouldn't care whether they are buying their peanuts from Planters, Goody's or Joe's House of Peanuts.
This gives them the freedom to play with quality and price (profit) to *their* advantage. The difference between "them" and any other "name brand" is that I am NOT free to purchase Kirkland products elsewhere.
We tend to find brands that we like (Kirkland is not a "brand") and stick to those -- until they screw up. Then, abandon them. (Sony comes to mind).
So, when Costco decides "they" can brand a better product (which might be the original vendor's product with Kirkland's name on it!), we just go find the same original product, elsewhere.
[This is the reason behind most of our trips to Sam's, nowadays -- on a neighbor's membership]
The same applies to Trader Joe's. SWMBO has enjoyed many of "their" products, over the years. Then, they discontinue them (no doubt because it makes economic sense FOR THEM -- hopefully, the customer will adopt some OTHER of their products as a replacement. If not... <shrug>).
This is where we "learned" the approach of just taking "dropped" businesses elsewhere. The latest TJ "losses" include their sherry (we use a lot in our meals) and their Vegetarian Chili. The former we just opted to *pick* another supplier (criteria: must not be TJ's), The latter, we now purchase the exact same chili under it's REAL NAME: "Amy's".
[Currently, they are trying to up-sell cauliflower to the organic variety so those purchases will move, as well.]
Prior to that, their dark chocolate covered almonds in cocoa powder (I now make these by hand, having not been able to find a suitable vendor), their coffee-flavored candy (they dropped one of the flavors), their bean salad, etc.
I.e., if you are going to make me find an alternative, then why would I want to reward you by choosing one of YOUR alternatives?
This year, we will probably drop our "executive membership" at costco in favor of a standard "business" membership. The "rewards" won't cover the additional cost of the premium membership!
On 1/6/2016 4:09 PM, Don Y wrote:

As foes every grocery chain. Some do it better than others, most are good quality, identical to the name brand.

True. They make more money but they usually sell it at a lower price and save me money too. I'm in favor of that.

I don't understand your thinking. Kirkland is a brand, just as all the others. I judge by the quality of the product and value, not the name on the label. Costco has a reputation to uphold so the sell quality products. Over the years my job has taken me to many manufacturing and processing factories. I've seen identical products coming down the line but getting different labels and selling at different prices.
If they do change the quality, by all means change, but just because it says Kirkland instead of Heinz or Del Monte does not mean it is not good.

If the alternative is not as good, you are right. If the alternative is the same product with a different label I'll reward myself by saving money.
On 1/6/2016 7:26 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

We don't buy "store brands" for the same reason.
There are several issues involved in a purchase decision: - price - quality - availability Store brands hide their suppliers. You'll never see a notice on a store brand claiming "better supplier" -- or even DIFFERENT supplier. So, each purchase is a crap shoot. They can tweek the price by offering you a different (quality) product this week and the "regular" product NEXT week, etc.
And, as it's a store brand, you have no way of comparing price/quality to other suppliers/vendors.
I can't see if Kirkland peanuts are selling at a BETTER price at Sam's club! And, if Costco is out of stock, there's nothing I can do about it -- there are no "other vendors" for that product!

When it comes to foodstuffs, there's no PRACTICAL amount of money that I can save that will compensate for the time preparing the meal/item only to be disappointed in the outcome.
If I make a cheesecake, I may put a few dollars worth of cream cheese, a few dollars of canned fruit, and a couple of dollars of dry ingredients into the bowl. Call it a $6 investment?
And 5 hours of my time. Imagine if I opted for a house-brand of any/all of those ingredients and managed to save ALL SIX DOLLARS! And, five hours later, realize I've got a piece of crap on my hands! It may be a cheesecake but nowhere near the quality folks would expect from that effort on my part!
Likewise, I could buy Kirkland almonds to make SWMBO's chocolate covered almonds. And, Kirkland's chocolate chips! And, painstakingly coat them one at a time, roll them in cocoa powder and set them aside to dry. After a few hours, have enough to justify the effort.
Then, the next day, discover that the almonds are hard and have little/no flavor. Or, the chocolate is overly sweet. etc.
OTOH, I can use the ghiardelli dark chocolate, the imported almonds and the dutch cocoa powder and be *sure* they're taste will reflect my effort.
I'll buy plastic trash can liners from Kirkland... and toilet paper!

You've never seen a firm producing two different grades of "the same" product? One with their brand and another with a third-party brand? Often, product is sorted "at test" into "good enough for our standards" and "not good enough for us -- but good enough for the firm that has hired us".

How do you *know* its the same product with a different label? Do you have a friend "on the inside"? Will it be the same product next week? Or, will they have swapped to a different supplier as no one *appeared* to notice the difference in quality?
The veggie chili I mentioned at TJ's has been out of stock for several months, now. When you inquire, it's a "problem with our supplier". Yet, the supplier (Amy's) has had no problem supplying other stores with the *Amy's* branded product. So, the "problem" is most probably one of cost/profit in TJ's eyes.
The sherry that we used to buy from them has been out of stock since October. Two or three MONTHS to "acquire" something as simple as sherry? I suspect yet another "problem" with THAT supplier.
Should we wait around for them to resolve these "problems"? Will the new product actually be the same as the old product? Or, will they have found yet another supplier to put THEIR name on?
Or, we could find another product that is available from a variety of sources and shop for price between those. And, know that we won't have to scramble to find the product at ONLY the one supplier (TJ's)
On 1/6/2016 10:50 PM, Don Y wrote:

So far we agree.

I've not found that to be true. I have found them to be as consistent as the name brands.

Then I'd take an alternative, most like a name brand.

While I agree in principle, I've not found it to be an issue. I often buy a store brand cream cheese and it is just as good as the Kraft product. Simple taste test would tell you to either stop or go ahead.

I'd not try a major thing like that unless I actually tried the chocolate. There are many variations, some better, some not so. It is also possible that the Kirkland chips are far better. Only one way to find out.

I don't shop at Aldi for that reason. Costco tends to sell top qujality products, where Aldi is selling price. They would be more likely to have the "good enough" stuff. I don't know that for certain, but they advertise price more than anything. I know their meats are second rate water injected stuff, Costco is not.

I don't know, but the usual price of admission is pretty cheap. Again, Costco can be trusted to have good quality o I'll give it a try. Some people prefer Hunt's ketchup over Heinz. That does not make one good, the other bad. Just different.

Could be that Amy does not have the capacity to do both. Could be a lot of things. Often, when there is a problem with the supplier it means "we didn't pay the bill", but could be a lot of reasons.