Slightly OT: How to test trailer leaf springs

Page 1 of 2
Is there a way for me to test the leaf springs on this trailer? You know, something like the old "shock test" on cars - step on the bumper. any more than 1.5 bounces and you needed shocks.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-21982-1345482763236.jpg
It seems to bounce more than it used to, both loaded and almost empty. Maybe it's just me, but things that used to stay put inside the trailer seem to get jostled around more than in the past. The handling doesn't seem to have changed, like I don't see it bouncing back around behind me. I followed it a few weeks ago and it seemed fine on both highways ansd side roads.
For example, the spare tire is held against the side wall with a piece of 2 x 4 bolted to a upright shelf support and pressed against the rim. Been that way for years. Yesterday I opened the trailer after a 60 mile ride and found it lying in the middle of the trailer. It's things like that that make me think it's bouncing more than it used too.
Tire pressure is fine.
Thoughts?

Yeah, saw those videos. That's why I worded my question the way I did:
"Is there a way for *me* to test the leaf springs on this trailer?" ;-)
I'll check the alignment clamps. If any are missing I'll throw some tie-wraps around the leafs. ;-)
On Monday, August 20, 2012 2:41:05 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

No, there is no test.
Are the springs sagging more than usual under load? Are they bent/broken?
Did you change tow vehicles to something with a stiffer suspension?
Your tire moving may be a red herring. It was held in with a 2x4 which presumably was untouched for years. The board got polished by the constant rubbing of the tire against it, and probably shrunk a little due to moisture loss. Whoop, there goes the tire...
On Monday, August 20, 2012 3:48:47 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

Excellent question. If I could go back a few years and look at the springs under load to establish a baseline, I could probably answer that. ;-)
However, not having worried about it before, I don't know what sag would be considered "usual" so I don't know if they are sagging "more than" that.

Not as far as I can tell.

No.
Anyway, the inspection is up in a few months. When it's due, I'll take it to a trailer shop and see what they can tell me.
On Monday, August 20, 2012 6:22:18 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Unfortunately, that was your one and only chance at being able to diagnose the problem without resorting to the parts shotgun. Now all you can do is change parts until you figure out what the problem is.

It was a poor example, because as I clearly showed it could be explained by other circumstances.

On Aug 21, 2:57pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

True dat...

Had I said "The covers popped off 3 storage totes" or "My tool box rotated 90 degrees" or "2 storage totes fell over" I'm sure you could have explained all of them away also. I doubt there is a perfect example that I could have given.

I've never known them to be dishonest in the past. Let's hope they don't start now.

Assuming it has leaf springs like most trailers do, it is possible that broken or sagging springs are allowing the suspension to bottom out, resulting in increased shock to trailer and contents. Examine the springs for cracks, broken or missing leaves, shackles, etc. and take a look at the distance between the bump stop and whatever it hits. Can't give a spec for that, but it should be a "reasonable" amount, say a few inches at least.

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:41:05 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Sounds to me like you need new shocks.

Right. I bought a used trailer with no shocks - stuff would fly all over the place when hitting a bump in the road.

It can't need "new" shocks since it never had shock to begin with, only leaf springs.
Since stuff didn't "fly all over the place" up until recently (as far as I know) it can't a need for "new" shocks.

WE need to find out what kind of springs you have Start here <http://www.etrailer.com/faq-Slipper-Spring-Trailer-Suspension-Review.aspx

It'll have to wait until this weekend. The trailer is not at my house and I won't be where it is until Friday.
I'll compare what I have to the pics on the website as soon as I can.
How will knowing what types of springs I have help diagnose the problem?
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 21:23:34 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

What problem?
--
Vic

If memory serves, the diagram will tell you if any parts are loose or worn It appears that with leaf springs as shown, the damping usually provided by a shock absorber, comes for the springs sliding against each other If the springs are loose, then there is little damping and the trailer should keep bouncing up and down If the springs are too tight, then there is no "give", and the trailers is "stiff-legged"
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:04:25 PM UTC-4, Atila Iskander wrote:

Trailers do not have shock absorbers as a general rule. People are not riding back there so ride quality is not a concern.
Trailer tires are generally not balanced, either. Again, it's a ride quality issue. Nobody there to complain, so they don't bother.

This trailer does not have shocks, only leaf springs.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:41:05 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I could imagine excessive vibration - rather than bouncing - causing all sorts of problems, too. Maybe transmitted via the trailer hitch from the tow vehicle, or due to a bad wheel bearing, or due to an out of balance wheel etc.
cheers
Jules
DerbyDad03 wrote the following on 8/20/2012 2:41 PM (ET):

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/photobucket-21982-1345482763236.jpg
How old are the shocks? how much do you use the trailer? They do wear out. I'd replace them
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Trailer doesn't have shocks, only leaf springs.
On Monday, August 20, 2012 2:41:05 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If it is old and has multiple leafs then my guess would be that they have rusted together and the "bounce" you now have is from the tires absorbing the impacts more than the springs. This is pretty common with old trailers that have multiple leafs. They sit too long and then the leafs rust together. My boat trailer has this problem. I think there are new thick single leaf composite springs to counter this but they ain't cheap.