Slightly OT-Bench grinder disassembly

Am attempting to modify my bench grinder, replacing the thermal fuse with a thermostat, but I can't get the damn thing open. Once I remove the four screws that fix the "end-cap" (sorry, I don't know what the "caps" on the sides of the grinder are called...) said end-cap spins freely, but refuses to relinquish its hold on the armature (sp?) shaft. Any ideas as to how this thing might be built, and how to gain access to its innerds? It's a 3/4 HP BG-6, put out by AJ Tools, if that helps any. Yer basic 6" (2-wheel) bench grinder from 30 years ago. Draws 6 Amps and spins at approx 3400 RPM. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

A photo or two would be a big help to get started.
harry wrote:

In addition to Harry's advice, I usually find that motor shafts have accumulated additional gunk and/or dings which make it very hard to slide them through the bearings. To remedy this, before disassembly I will run a fine piece of wet/dry sandpaper against the shaft as it is running. You only need slight pressure for a small amount of time to even it out most of the time, and you can inspect the progress by then turning it off and inspecting the shaft by feel.
If it is shiny and feels smooth, then you can proceed to remove the bell ends.
Jon
On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 08:41:56 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

Plus a little lube on the shaft after doing the (above) will help too.