Slightly off-topic: Learning carpentry and basic wood-work ...

Folks,
Happy Holidays!
I am interested in getting started with basic wood-work -- carpentry as a hobby. Maybe I'll start with children's toys. I'd like to get an overview of tools, work-place setup etc. Any quick crash-courses out there? Any pointers will be appreciated.
Best Regards, Kedar Mhaswade.

Post this question also in another newsgroup: rec.woodworking You'll get good answers both here and there, but probably more there.
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:51:33 -0800 (PST), Kedar Mhaswade

A little info on what woodworking tools you currently have is helpful.
Safety should be in the forethought at all times.

None, I think.

I agree. Safety 1st.
Thanks for any pointers.
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 13:27:45 -0800 (PST), Kedar Mhaswade

Video: Mastering Tablesaw Basics
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?idR98
Kedar Mhaswade wrote:

look in the Usnet Newsgroup":
rec.woodworking
On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:51:33 -0800 (PST), Kedar Mhaswade

There are all kinds of woodworking skills. You might consider a bandsaw as a first tool--not too much space, lots of versatility, reasonable in price, plus it will always be useful as your skills improve. Perhaps the first project to build would be a sturdy workbench--you will gain skills and have a very useful shop "tool" when complete. Visit your local library for books.
Kedar Mhaswade:

Most colleges will have adult programs in woodworking taught in local high school shops. There are also private woodworking schools if you have a fat wad of cash because they are expensive. Also look for a local woodworking club.
--
Mac Cool