Sliding Window Bottom Inner Track Hole

I have sliding windows in my apartment, and on the bottom of the inside tracks, there is a perfectly circular hole in the plastic. They let out a good deal of heat this way, and make the surrounding area a bit chilly and drafty. What is the purpose of these holes? Can they safely be filled in with caulk? Thanks.
The hole might function as a drain, to allow condensed moisture to escape. How big a hole is it?
Jacque wrote:

About half an inch in diameter. They're closer to the sides of the window frame than the center where each window overlaps.

One possibility is that a previous occupant was a radio amateur and ran a coax cable out that hole to an antenna. 1/2 inch would fit the most commonly used coax size.
--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353

being forced open from the outside.