Sliding Patio Door Problems

Hi:
A house we have has a sliding patio door. The frame is Aluminum as is the track on which it runs.
The door just doesn't want to slide. The bearings in the rollers (especially on one side) don't seem to work. The "rail" on the tracks is worn down a fraction and spawlng (sp?) can be seen.
The door is relatively easy to remove and we inspected the bottom. We could see the two wheel mechanisms but we just could NOT remove them. There are ridges in the U shaped opening in the bottom of the lower rail they keep it in place.
SO: How can I removed these "wheel/" (I think Lowe's has replacements)
At what point do I "give up" and start shopping for a NEW door?
Thanks, jlg

Today would be a good day.
Our house had a similar alumiminum door when we moved in and it was three years old. Nothing but a PITA that kept getting worse. In the winter, the door would freeze closed from condensation around the frame.
Put in a new Pella and it has been a dream for the past 12 years or so. Get rid of the aluminum door as soon as you can. You won't be sorry. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

the
replacements)
Stop messing with it bite the bullet and get a new unit. You will be more than happy with modern glass technology. I would get a clad wood door. I prefer Andersons. They are also easy to transport since they come with "knocked down" frames. I would look carefully at Pellas. The operable panel is on the outside. They will not open well if Ice/snow gets on the exterior exposed track. Also, on those summer nights when you want to close up the door you must slide open the, bug covered, interior screen, to get to the sliding panel. Pella is the only door, I know, that works backwards.
I just had a similar prob. with our sliding door. Compared to our neighbor's, it was a bear to slide. On both sides of the door, there is an adjustment access hole, which adjusts the distance between the rolling bearing and the track. The installer adjusted the bearings too tight, or maybe there was some shifting or settlement. Either way, the door slides like a dream now since it is in adjustment.
Hope this helps.
Stephen R.

the
replacements)

an
Our's is past "adjustment." On one of the wheels, the bearings are obviously completely shot.
They have the complete roller assemblies at big hardware stores. Ace does better than the BORG