Sliding patio door inside or outside?

Page 2 of 2

I wanted outswing french doors on my new house for just that reason. The builder discouraged it on the grounds that in his experience they tend to leak more than in swing doors.
-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
on 10/17/2007 11:12 PM JimR said the following:

french doors and they swing in. It would be very hard to open an outward swinging door with 3' of snow packed up against it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I haven't seen but a couple, and they all opened out. BIL has two in his house - both out swing. One installed only about 5 or 6 years ago.
Harry K
on 10/19/2007 12:59 PM Harry K said the following:

Might be a problem if a fire started in the house and the only exit was blocked by snow drifts.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

He is in BC with lots of snow. Haven't heard of any problem opening it and it opens directly onto the patio. One could also posit a problem opening it out due to a mudslide, a car parked against it, etc. I would guess the odds of a being blocked in in case of fire and snow drifts as about the same as the fire blocking off access to the door to start with.
Harry K

My Slider is on the inside. The screen slides on the outside. Been that way for at least 20 years.
** Frank ** wrote:

and units are quite old - 35/40 years. I assume the slider is inside so that the track it slides on is protected from water and dirt.

IMHO any sliding door with the slider on the outside (and screen on the inside) was installed by someone who ordered the wrong door, didn't know better, or didn't care.
In the past I've installed tamper-proof screws for clients who had doors installed like this and were concerned about how easy it would be for someone to unscrew the track and take the slider out. Just another downside to having the slider on the outside, in addition to all the things that other posters have mentioned.
I'm jumping in here a bit late (date wise) but if the slider is on the outside an intruder only needs to lift the outside door upward into the upper track and tilt it outward to remove it from the frame -- even if it is locked at the center. And with the screen on the inside any flies and bugs that say on the screen when you open it are swiftly slid directly into the house.

Not true. There are locks that prevent lifting.

I just replaced 3 6- foot sliders that had been installed with the operating door on the outside and screen on the inside and simply lifting them up to clear the bottom track removed the door. A sill and head jamb bracket retained the non-op door.

You did that when it was locked right? And it applies to every brand, correct?

brand, correct?
I can answer that. :-)
My Crestline door (granted: interior slider) can not be lifted and removed. An interior header strip needs to be removed (~ 6 screws) in order to remove the slider.
Once this header strip is removed, the slider simply tilts into the room.
2 of the 3 locks would have to be unlocked to accomplish this.
wrote in message

Did one pair when locked because too lazy to go totally around house . Can't say every brand and don't know year made. These were 2 different manufacturers however . The houses was there from the mid 80's

We have Andresson Sliding doors. The main track is on the inside for the glass door. The screen door for bugs has a slider on the outside. You can open the glass goors without having to touch the bug screen doors. That is quite nice.
Best, Mike.

Just MHO but I _hate_ sliders. The worst abortion for closure ever invented. High maintenance, poor sealing. When I added an 18x30 addition the wife insisted on a slider. I tried to convince her to go with 'french doors' - no luck. She still cusses her stubborness. Lates quote I got last year was about $1,500 to replace the Anderson with a French door.
Were I ever to look at a house with a slider in it, it would have to be replaced before I would buy.
Harry K