Sliding glass door rollers

The bottom rollers of my sliding glass door have become quite noisy, and the door is harder to slide than it should be. I'm hoping it's possible to replace the rollers (the track actually looks ok). If so, can someone point me to an explanation of how that is done?

Reply to
Peabody

Easier if you know what brand so you can go to that store and get them.

The door us usually lifted out of the track. Unscrew the bolts holding the old ones, put in the new ones.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Home Depot stocks a number of replacements, including some "universal" types. Take one of the old ones with you so you can match it.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Get the door about /2 the way open, you should be able to see a hole on each side of the frame near the bottom where you can use a screwdriver and turn screws that will raise / lower the rollers.

Raise them as high as you can and then lift the door up and out--if the door is very large, best to have a helper.

Take out the old roller assembly and go to Home Depot and see if they have some that up....if not, don't give up quite yet--likely your local glass shop will still be able to find suitable replacements...

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Ok, I see that there are plugs at all four corners of the door, which I assume cover access holes to the screw adjustments for the rollers. Except, there are two plugs at the bottom front. Don't know what that extra hole would be for.

So, it looks like I first have to remove the screen door (same method), then raise the lower rollers, and maybe lower the upper rollers, then lift the door out. Might as well do new rollers all around.

I'll be careful.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
Peabody

I am interested in hearing how this comes out since I have a twenty year old sliding glass door that is so hard to slide my wife lifts it off the track just trying to slide it...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Ok, I got it done. The door has rollers only on the bottom, but the screen had rollers top and bottom.

Before replacing the rollers, it might be good to just try adjusting them first. Could save a lot of work. Just pretend you are tightening the adjustment screw to push the roller away from the door, which raises the door.

The roller assembly consists of three parts. The assembly frame is screwed into the window, and probably doesn't need to be replaced. Then the slider is what the adjustment screw moves back and forth, and finally the roller itself fits into the slider.

Home Depot didn't have an exact match (the roller was bigger than mine), but it worked ok, just barely, with the new roller fully retracted.

Adjustments took some time. The door not only has to be the right height, but also square in the door frame, and then the latch has to be adjusted. Counting the parts run, I probably put close to three hours into it, but that includes a lot of cleaning. And it took a while to figure out how it worked and what I needed to replace.

The new assemblies were about $6 each.

And boy does it slide like a mofo! One little push, and it just glides all the way to the full-open bumper. I don't think it even did that when it was new.

Thanks for the explanations and encouragment.

Reply to
Peabody