Sliding glass door (I need some help)

The door is about 8 years old. It doesn't have any plastic wheels or anything other than what looks like a tongue and groove between the door and the frame. I removed it once and cleaned it and put in some teflon stuff. It worked for about 6 months. Now it is really sticky and cleaning didn't help.

What should I do? Are the doors usually a standard size? It's a tract home. I'm cheap.

Thanks

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

buffalobill

I can't imagine a door without wheels or some version of slide strip. I suspect that the lube that you did use attracted dust and dirt and that this is causing the stickiness now. I imagine the best recourse now would be a thorough cleaning.

Is there a brand name on the door? Contact or Google the manufacturer for use and care suggestions. I have had good luck on outdoor items that needed lube using anti seize like this:

Reply to
DanG

I'm retired and that can make ya cheap (and creative). ;) If your door is anything like ours its toast. There was a wheel and it wore out. The alum base was (center hump the wheel rode on was pretty much gone. My improvisation has lasted a year and is going strong. If I can find our camera (granddaughter usually has it) I'll take a picture and post it later today. (It's 7:00 AM in Calif) See if you can visualize this:

I picked up a roller assembly that is normally used on heavy closet doors. Its about 3" tall X 1 1/2" wide X 3/8" thick with a nylon wheel (about 3/4" dia) at one end (protruding about 1/4 ") and an adjustable screw for the wheel at the other. At the wheel end there are two flanges with holes for screws and mounting. I drilled one hole through the upper left corner and used three screws to fasten it to the outside, closest to the door frame and of course, the bottom. The beauty is that once in place, its adjustable. The nylon wheel is grooved to ride a hump but in this set up it rides on the outside edges.

Reply to
F.H.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

My original dimensions were guessed from memory. Here are the actual measurements:

3 1/16" tall 1 7/8" wide 5/8 " thick

You should be able to find the piece at a hardware store or....? Three pictures attached. Note I used three metal screws and drilled pilot holes in the alum door frame, the top screw required drilling a hole through the assembly. Also, note the 1/4 20 lock nut at the top to keep the adjustment right. Beats buying a new door.

F.H.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

I've had the door out and there were no rollers. I had to bend the bottom track and bend it back to get the door in and out. I know that isn't the way it's supposed to be but a lot of things about this house are substandard.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

On my door the majority of wear took place nearest the door frame. It still tracked but it dragged. You had to kinda lift it to get it to move. And yes, it runs outside the groove and the door follows the original groove. No problem.

The odd thing is that when I first got the idea I looked around and didn't see anything that looked just right. Then I spotted some discarded closet doors sticking out of a dumpster at my granddaughters school and sure enough the wheel assembly I needed was right there for the taking. There are no identifying marks on the assembly so you would have to print the picture and take it to Home Depot or.......

Or....., email me your address and I'll mail one to you. (I've got two more). I assume you are somewhere in the USA. :)

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

Kinda quiet over there, did you see my reply?

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

Sorry for the delay. I'm taking your advice and taking a picture in to Home Depot. I think I need two rollers, as both sides of the door seem to be binding. I got a kind of serial number from the door but they aren't manufactured anymore. Waiting for reply from them about possible fix. Can you spare two rollers, if I can't find something? My problem is that the door really, as strange as it seems, has no rollers at all, either top or bottom.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

LOL, you *are* lucky. I do have two.

Reply to
F.H.

I'm probably going to be writing to you. The window company said they have a lifetime guarantee but neither of the two local distributors have called back for a couple of days.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt