Slider window problem: resolved

A while back I posted about a slider window problem - wouldn't close completely, see below.

The moveable pane has a slight vertical fin on the back so that it will close against a mirror image fin on the fixed window thus - theoretically - keeping small critters out. It turns out that the fixed window is bowed slightly...just enough to keep the moveable pane from passing without pushing the bow out. Cheap windows are a PITA.

I haven't come up with a fix, may just put in a screw so the window can never again open :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Nope, never took it out. To do so, I'd have to reduce the height of two fins on the inside of the moveable pane. They are notched now - presumably to allow removal - but the notches are not deep enough. No big thing to enlarge them but there goes the bronze anodized finish. A marking pen would more or less fix that, main reason is that there are other more pressing things to take care of.

For example, Mow Guy clipped off the PVC riser for a hose bib while we were on a trip. He clipped it off because a) he was careless and b) the riser was two feet away from the house. Just fixed that, good thing the power was off while we were away (water is from a well).

Reply to
dadiOH

What does that last mean in English? Straight question.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Straight answer.

Seems like you can't easily fix the fixed pane with a bow. If that is the case, perhaps you can modify the moving pane to match or otherwise clear the bow. You can file, grind, or cut the fin as needed until it closes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski