slide-in range

What's involved in replacing a drop-in range with a slide-in unit?

My current ancient down draft Jenn-Air has finally been authorized to be replaced by the home warranty company. They are offering the slide-in model

and my wife wants it. They won't pay for any cabinet modifications so that is upon us.

Is there anything more than cutting out the baseplate of the cabinet to allow it to go into the cavity? I don't know if a slide-in is considered free standing or has to slid onto rails built into the cabinet enclosure. I don't know if the old one is hard-wired or if there is a receptacle. The exhaust goes out through the wall to the outside of the house.

Reply to
badgolferman

I did find the installation instructions to be helpful after posting the original message.

Reply to
badgolferman

Sometimes that is all there is to be done, but look very carefully at the dimensions of the range and the current width and depth of your present countertop and cabinets. Your cabinets might need some reinforcing as a result of the cutting of the base.

I don't know if a slide-in is

The difference between a slide in and a freestanding range is the freestanding one has finished sides. It could be placed in an area where no side cabinets existed and look fine. A slide in range has unfinished sides and is counting on cabinets to exist on each side. The rails normally are only required for a drop in range since it does not sit on the floor but on those rails. Both a slide in and freestanding range rest on the floor. I don't know if the old one is hard-wired or if

Most drop in ranges are wired in rather than plugged in. To be sure you need to pull out the present range so that you can see how it is powered. You might need someone to install a receptacle for the new range if it is (and most are) assembled with a plug.

The exhaust goes out through the wall to the

All I can say is be sure you size up the complete situation so that you are not hit with unexpected surprises. It might be a simple modification, but it might require countertop, cabinet, and electrical changes.

Reply to
Ken