slate in bedroom ?

Page 2 of 3
Banty wrote:

I'm actually curious as to what the name for this color actually is. I know that in vintage appliance world, green = avocado, but I imagine this sort of brown has some special name as well.
From the Southern Illinoisian: http://www.thesouthern.com/sp_sections/story.php?pub_number 8&s=5
"appliance companies are becoming more daring with color. Dacor is adding pale green and blue double wall ovens to its line of stainless steel this year. The British company Aga offers electric and gas ranges in 15 colors, including two shades of purple: eggplant and lavender.... Red is the top selling Big Chill refrigerator color, says Orion Creamer, product designer and co-owner of the Colorado company. Yellow and light blue are close seconds. So far most customers looking to add retro chic to their kitchens are from California and New York....Still, the general population seems ready for an alternative to neutral large appliance colors, says Creamer, based on sales that have steadily grown since the colorful refrigerators were introduced in the summer. People have started requesting colors the company doesn't currently offer. "But not avocado or harvest gold," he says. "We won't be coming out with these anytime soon."

No, but close! The kitchen is the last untouched realm in my house, which spent many many years as a dismal and neglected batchelor pad in my husband's former life. The overall theme of the home is "rustic," variously interpreted, and I'm not sure quite what variety the kitchen will take on, but I absolutely certain that stainless or black moderne appliances will have no place in it! Which means when we're ready to take the kitchen remodel plunge, I'm hoping to benefit from the current stainless obsession by picking up nearly new white white-goods at bargain prices off Craigslist. I can't believe the number of people in this area who are ripping out 2 or 3-yo appliances so they can upgrade to stainless.
Banty, I sense you don't like wood in the kitchen ; )
As much as I'd like to take credit for the place, the house was redone in 2000, and we bought it only last year. We're still furnishing/fixing, etc.
I agree wood isn't the most functional flooring for a kitchen, but I can think of why the builder did it this way. As you walk down the main hallway (saltillo-tiled), you step down into a dining/lounging area (wood). The kitchen essentially makes up the far corner of this lounge area (see pic http://www.pbase.com/homi/image/50047557 ) There's really no threshold between the kitchen and lounge, and the wood floor in this lounge area works better than if the saltillo were continued. I can't envision having a different type of tile abutting the saltillo, that would look funny.
Eventual plans include a fireplace set flush in the flagstone veneer (red square in above pic) thanks for your thoughts Homi
Banty wrote:

To join the "jump on homi" bandwagon: not only did I think the placement of tile and wood in the kitchen was backward (wood on the floor, tile on the peninsula), but the tres moderne travertine looks thoroughly out of place with the tres rustique knotty pine. There's a certain "half rustic lodge, half upscale spa" feel to the whole place that just isn't working for me! But as the handmade modern guy says, "if you love it, then it's perfect."
If you really want to know how the slate floors would affect the resale value, you might consult with a realtor who does a lot of high-end listings in your area. That will help take a lot of the emotion out it.

Actually, *that* I like. And I don't care if "knotty pine" has been assigned to "rustic style" and "travertine" is supposedly "modern". I think they look good together. Just think it could be better grounded by a stone or tile floor :)
In the shower stall there - does it also *feel* like you're standing on pebbles?
Banty (house is ex-country, slowing going toward a mix of mission, western, and modern, but whotheheckcares...)
they're fairly smooth river stones. it's a pleasure to stand on
Homi
Yes the kitchen is a little schizo, but it's a great conversation piece (and a great place to hang out, too)
the realtor that I talked to didn't tell me what I wanted to hear ; )
Banty wrote:

I must be way ahead of my time. I put a wood floor in my kitchen in 1968. I still like it. The house was over 100 years old at the time and I took out sheet flooring to put in the wood and found that under the sheet was another wood floor. I suspect 30 years from now wood will be back in. So why worry what you or I think. The home owner should please themselves.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Oh absolutely.
Though I *do* think the wood floors in the kitchen is just a trend a lot of people are doing 'cause it's the thing (not everyone who does it, of course).
And, true, in another 30 years it'll come back again.
I just don't like it in the kitchen floor.
It's just that, given the rest of his house, I'm amazed to see yet another bunch of sticks on a kitchen floor. I was looking for granite tile or blue slate or who-knows-what there. Travertine, anyway.
Cheers, Banty
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:14:58 +0000, Joseph Meehan wrote:

We just put bamboo down in the foyer/hal/kitchen/diningroom. It's far better looking than vinyl at a similar installed price.
--
Keith

The only thing that determines what this would do toyour resale value is the prospective buyer's opinion. Personally, I'd love to have slate in the bedroom. Too cold? Throw an area rug over it in winter - duh! :) I have absolutely no understanding why someone would make a comment like "I would not buy a house that has slate in the bedroom". Geeze, it's not like this somehow made the house EVIL or something! haha It's one minor detail - please!
Personally, I would love it if I had slate in the bedroom and bath area. The house I just bought a couple years ago is carpeted in those areas, but I bought it anyway cause there's alot more to the house than just the little bit of flooring. Besides, it can be changed - and I can then pick out exactly what I want. (I actually DO plan to install tile of some kind at some point.)

Slate is soft and scratches easily. The dogs are going to trash the slate too. The dogs belong outside.
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:36:09 -0400, Dan Espen
So do you.

Agree with you there.

Ok, keep the dog inside, but don't invite me over.
I still say they are going to trash the slate.

I'd be more worried about the weight. If the upper floor was marginal in the first place, adding the tile/slate might make it unacceptably bouncy/saggy.
gd226 wrote:

Way cool!
Dan

I think you have a lovely unique house and you guys obviously have great taste, and any one that will like the rest of your house will be just fine with slate in the bedroom, especially with the radiant heat underneath.

That home already has tons of personality (meaning, a certain % of folks will run screaming from it, which translates into a harder-to-sell home). Adding additional personality ain't gonna change that. Go with what you want in the bedroom -- the radiant floor heat pretty much negates the only serious downside of stone on the bedroom floor -- everything else is esthetics.
gd226 wrote:

Having slate in the bedroom is going to be the least of your issues when you go to resell.
On 29 Sep 2005 23:40:50 -0700, homi snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Awfully cold on bare feet!
rusty redcloud