slate in bedroom ?

heh heh. very helpful : )

Reply to
gd226

geez, I sure hope not. haven't had anyone fall down it... yet.

what would be the violation?

Reply to
gd226

it actually is really comfy... they're 3-5" river stones, highly recommended

Homi

Reply to
gd226

they're fairly smooth river stones. it's a pleasure to stand on

Homi

Reply to
gd226

Slate is soft and scratches easily. The dogs are going to trash the slate too. The dogs belong outside.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I took a look at the link too. It's a unique home, very slick, and slate in the bedroom isn't gonna sway anyone either way.

Now, slate in the bedroom in a more tract housing-like home would be a polarizing point, but not in a spiffy custom joint like this.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

To join the "jump on homi" bandwagon: not only did I think the placement of tile and wood in the kitchen was backward (wood on the floor, tile on the peninsula), but the tres moderne travertine looks thoroughly out of place with the tres rustique knotty pine. There's a certain "half rustic lodge, half upscale spa" feel to the whole place that just isn't working for me! But as the handmade modern guy says, "if you love it, then it's perfect."

If you really want to know how the slate floors would affect the resale value, you might consult with a realtor who does a lot of high-end listings in your area. That will help take a lot of the emotion out it.

Reply to
DrLith

I'd be more worried about the weight. If the upper floor was marginal in the first place, adding the tile/slate might make it unacceptably bouncy/saggy.

Reply to
Goedjn

I want to know how you got that serpentine stairway past the building inspector. Isn't that a technical violation of building code?

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Way cool!

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I think that you shouldn't give a rats ass about re-sale value: you're living there, do what you enjoy. While some people may indeed be taken aback by stone in the bedroom, others will be highly jazzed up by it. You're not building a house to sell, you're making you home a nicer place for you. Resale value shouldn't be a concern.

I think it's an awsome idea.

John

Reply to
raven

Oh absolutely.

Though I *do* think the wood floors in the kitchen is just a trend a lot of people are doing 'cause it's the thing (not everyone who does it, of course).

And, true, in another 30 years it'll come back again.

I just don't like it in the kitchen floor.

It's just that, given the rest of his house, I'm amazed to see yet another bunch of sticks on a kitchen floor. I was looking for granite tile or blue slate or who-knows-what there. Travertine, anyway.

Cheers, Banty

Reply to
Banty

You must be planning on staying a while since you are considering a fairly big and expensive project. I have no clue what it would do to the resale value. Depending on structure and climate, it might make the room a good deal more difficult to keep warm in winter. I once had a little house on slab, poor insulation, and the north end was much colder in winter due to wind and cold slab.

Reply to
Norminn

Darn. Despite the 1950's construction, we're sporting the Ye Olde New England look (think Royal Barry Wills).

So much for my moment of trendiness. Shoulda known it wouldn't last....

Caledonia

Reply to
Caledonia

Maybe I should be keeping my Harvest Gold sink, it might be really trendy in 20 years.

Reply to
homeowner

I would. I'd prefer that over carpet any day.

Angrie.Woman

What area in Colorado? Vail, Keystone, Aspen?? All very cold in winter. Worked in the Keystone Vail area for 13 years. WW

Reply to
Warren Weber

I THOUGHT that there was a regulation about all the steps having to be the same shape, between landings.

Reply to
Goedjn

Maybe feel warm, but the room will not be any colder with slate.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I must be way ahead of my time. I put a wood floor in my kitchen in

1968. I still like it. The house was over 100 years old at the time and I took out sheet flooring to put in the wood and found that under the sheet was another wood floor. I suspect 30 years from now wood will be back in. So why worry what you or I think. The home owner should please themselves.
Reply to
Joseph Meehan