slate in bedroom ?

Page 1 of 3
I need to replace the carpet in our master bedroom. We were planning on laying slate tile and then a large area rug on top.
A few people have told me this would lower the resale value (relative to wood flooring). What do people think?
Thanks, Homi
homi snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes:

I'd buy a bedroom that was hardwood or carpeted. A tiled bedroom wouldn't be something I'd be likely to buy unless it was the only weird thing in the place and everything else was very impressive. I'd probably negotiate the area rug in with the deal unless it was ugly. I'd mentally calculate in the cost of an area rug to cover the slate.
But that's just me.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /
homi snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I think that if resale value is important to you, nothing should be done. If on the other hand you are doing it because it is what YOU want, then ignore those who are telling you what someone else may want in YOUR bedroom.
If we all worried about resale value we would all live in very boring all white walled homes.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
so... the impetus for this project is that our dogs have trashed the existing carpet - necessitating a more durable, cleanable replacement (either a wood or tile). Regardless of which one we choose, we'll put down a large area rug for protection and noise. As far as the cold issue, winters here in colorado can be chilly, and we're planning on radiant floor heat.
We like the look of slate, but don't want to do something that will make the place tough to sell in the future. The house makes use of stone/concrete as a common theme and already has alot of unique features (some pics at http://www.pbase.com/homi/home_inside ) The master bath floor and shower are slate, the first floor is mostly a saltillo-looking tile, the kitchen backsplash is travertine, and the sinks and counters in the kitchen, master bath and wetbar are concrete.
We're certainly appreciating everyone's thoughts... keep em coming ! Homi

Homi, I took a look at your link - the buyer of *your* house, whenever it is you do decide to sell, will *not* be put off by slate in your bedroom. It's not a little ol' split level that some conventional family will want move-in to their conventional standards, to be sure! (Don't take offense, anyone reading this - I just have a little ol' 3 bdr rancher, myself.) It'd be someone who is into that kind of aesthetic.
So, slate away, I think it would be marvelous. The only thing that comes to mine was that my late father's house was largely tiled for similar reasons. It was creamy-white tile, so had a "cold" look (but your slate won't have that problem), and it did reverberate sounds a lot.
So I'd give some consideration to make sure that you have draperies that are heavy enough and upholstery, etc., enough to tone that down.
But, other than that, especially since you have the radiant heat in that floor, I think slate is a wonderful idea.
Banty

I took a look at the link too. It's a unique home, very slick, and slate in the bedroom isn't gonna sway anyone either way.
Now, slate in the bedroom in a more tract housing-like home would be a polarizing point, but not in a spiffy custom joint like this.
Best Regards, -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

I want to know how you got that serpentine stairway past the building inspector. Isn't that a technical violation of building code?
--Goedjn

and that shower floor must be a bear to stand on for any period of time. i used tiny pebbles around the drain, but used tile for the rest.

it actually is really comfy... they're 3-5" river stones, highly recommended
Homi
geez, I sure hope not. haven't had anyone fall down it... yet.
what would be the violation?

I THOUGHT that there was a regulation about all the steps having to be the same shape, between landings.
Goedjn wrote:

Probably none, but he's 'thinking' about it.

Wrong.
http://www.arcways.com/IRC2003.pdf

::partly tongue in cheek rant warning::
What IS IT with wooden floors in the kitchen!! Even YOU, with such an appreciation for tile and stone and slate, put that GODDAM WOOD in the KITCHEN!
Ten years from now, folks will turn up their noses at the wood floors in all these two-thousand-ought (year 2001 - 2010) kitchens, just like they turn their noses up justifiably at those '80s carpeted bathrooms! It'll be dated in ten years, esp. when folks are tiling over that stained and water damaged stuff.
Come ON - YOU, with all those other options, all that taste, and all that appreciation for all those materials which would make wonderful floors, put those STICKS on the floor of your KITCHEN??!?
I LOVED the rest of your house, then I saw that DUMB wood everyone is putting in their kitchens nowdays. It just looks duuuuumb.
HmmmmPH!!
::end rant::
Cheers, Banty (TILE going into MY kitchen!)
Banty wrote:

I had no idea that wood floors were trendy, and am now sitting a little taller, thinking, "Howzabout that, our house is trendy!". My current house is new construction (1950's) trying very very hard to look old with wide plank floors throughout. My prior house was older construction (1880's), just looking very 1880s, with wide plank wood floors throughout.

Caledonia
(Now wondering, are kitchen fireplaces also trendy? Could I be topping out the trend-o-meter without even realizing it? And maybe my chessy little 12 over 12 windows could secretly be cool....a world of possibilities ahead :)
says...

Hey - the '50s and '60s are back! Boomerang-formica and everything.
Else everyone's trying to look like 1912...
Banty
Banty wrote:

Darn. Despite the 1950's construction, we're sporting the Ye Olde New England look (think Royal Barry Wills).
So much for my moment of trendiness. Shoulda known it wouldn't last....
Caledonia
On 30 Sep 2005 16:26:13 -0700, in misc.consumers.house "Caledonia"

Maybe I should be keeping my Harvest Gold sink, it might be really trendy in 20 years.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I'm hanging onto my brown 1969-vintage appliances for that very reason ;-)

I always kinda liked that brown (or I think they called it something like 'copper').
You want the 1960 GE cooktop and wall oven I'm about to rip out? White. (or it was white...)
Banty
On 30 Sep 2005 20:36:23 -0700, in misc.consumers.house Banty

I ripped out the sink today and replaced it with a modern stainless steel one. Kind of a shame though, it matched my 1975 microwave nicely.