slate in bedroom ?

I need to replace the carpet in our master bedroom. We were planning on laying slate tile and then a large area rug on top.

A few people have told me this would lower the resale value (relative to wood flooring). What do people think?

Thanks, Homi

Reply to
homi_

Depends where you live. We have slate in our bathrooms - foyer - kitchen. It feels great on your feet in the morning - we live in Florida. As one gets older - it is more stable on your balance to have tile or wood - instead of carpet. Also carpet builds up dirt - pollen - and mold - even when you clean it often.

Currently my home is half tile - half carpet. I plan to swap out the carpet with wood shortly.

Harry

Reply to
Harry

Question - can carpet be installed over slate? Or even a large area rug provided, to go with the house, for sale when staging the house for sale?

That way, he can get what he *wants* to live with, then turn it around for sale when he's ready to sale.

Unless one is going to move in the next coupla years, it doesn't make sense to be making someone else's house.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I'd be OK with slate in the bedroom..

Banty

Reply to
Banty

I'd buy a bedroom that was hardwood or carpeted. A tiled bedroom wouldn't be something I'd be likely to buy unless it was the only weird thing in the place and everything else was very impressive. I'd probably negotiate the area rug in with the deal unless it was ugly. I'd mentally calculate in the cost of an area rug to cover the slate.

But that's just me.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I think that if resale value is important to you, nothing should be done. If on the other hand you are doing it because it is what YOU want, then ignore those who are telling you what someone else may want in YOUR bedroom.

If we all worried about resale value we would all live in very boring all white walled homes.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

so... the impetus for this project is that our dogs have trashed the existing carpet - necessitating a more durable, cleanable replacement (either a wood or tile). Regardless of which one we choose, we'll put down a large area rug for protection and noise. As far as the cold issue, winters here in colorado can be chilly, and we're planning on radiant floor heat.

We like the look of slate, but don't want to do something that will make the place tough to sell in the future. The house makes use of stone/concrete as a common theme and already has alot of unique features (some pics at

) The master bath floor and shower are slate, the first floor is mostly a saltillo-looking tile, the kitchen backsplash is travertine, and the sinks and counters in the kitchen, master bath and wetbar are concrete.

We're certainly appreciating everyone's thoughts... keep em coming ! Homi

Reply to
gd226

Awfully cold on bare feet!

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud®

If this is what you want then do it. I personally have an all tile home. I have had wood and do not like the damage it sustains under normal use. I am into low maintenance.

You do not mention the area of the country your in. Slate in the winter could cool off your bedroom several degrees. I live where heat is almost an after thought so slippers and a set of sweats in the coldest of days is fine with me.

Reply to
SQLit

Homi, I took a look at your link - the buyer of *your* house, whenever it is you do decide to sell, will *not* be put off by slate in your bedroom. It's not a little ol' split level that some conventional family will want move-in to their conventional standards, to be sure! (Don't take offense, anyone reading this - I just have a little ol' 3 bdr rancher, myself.) It'd be someone who is into that kind of aesthetic.

So, slate away, I think it would be marvelous. The only thing that comes to mine was that my late father's house was largely tiled for similar reasons. It was creamy-white tile, so had a "cold" look (but your slate won't have that problem), and it did reverberate sounds a lot.

So I'd give some consideration to make sure that you have draperies that are heavy enough and upholstery, etc., enough to tone that down.

But, other than that, especially since you have the radiant heat in that floor, I think slate is a wonderful idea.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

::partly tongue in cheek rant warning::

What IS IT with wooden floors in the kitchen!! Even YOU, with such an appreciation for tile and stone and slate, put that GODDAM WOOD in the KITCHEN!

Ten years from now, folks will turn up their noses at the wood floors in all these two-thousand-ought (year 2001 - 2010) kitchens, just like they turn their noses up justifiably at those '80s carpeted bathrooms! It'll be dated in ten years, esp. when folks are tiling over that stained and water damaged stuff.

Come ON - YOU, with all those other options, all that taste, and all that appreciation for all those materials which would make wonderful floors, put those STICKS on the floor of your KITCHEN??!?

I LOVED the rest of your house, then I saw that DUMB wood everyone is putting in their kitchens nowdays. It just looks duuuuumb.

HmmmmPH!!

::end rant::

Cheers, Banty (TILE going into MY kitchen!)

Reply to
Banty

I would not buy a house with slate in the bedroom.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I had no idea that wood floors were trendy, and am now sitting a little taller, thinking, "Howzabout that, our house is trendy!". My current house is new construction (1950's) trying very very hard to look old with wide plank floors throughout. My prior house was older construction (1880's), just looking very 1880s, with wide plank wood floors throughout.

Caledonia

(Now wondering, are kitchen fireplaces also trendy? Could I be topping out the trend-o-meter without even realizing it? And maybe my chessy little 12 over 12 windows could secretly be cool....a world of possibilities ahead :)

Reply to
Caledonia

Actually, *that* I like. And I don't care if "knotty pine" has been assigned to "rustic style" and "travertine" is supposedly "modern". I think they look good together. Just think it could be better grounded by a stone or tile floor :)

In the shower stall there - does it also *feel* like you're standing on pebbles?

Banty (house is ex-country, slowing going toward a mix of mission, western, and modern, but whotheheckcares...)

Reply to
Banty

Hey - the '50s and '60s are back! Boomerang-formica and everything.

Else everyone's trying to look like 1912...

Banty

Reply to
Banty

and that shower floor must be a bear to stand on for any period of time. i used tiny pebbles around the drain, but used tile for the rest.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Just another tick mark in the "I would love slate floors in the bedroom" column.

But I wouldn't put it in, because I'd worry about the resale value ;)

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

The only thing that determines what this would do toyour resale value is the prospective buyer's opinion. Personally, I'd love to have slate in the bedroom. Too cold? Throw an area rug over it in winter - duh! :) I have absolutely no understanding why someone would make a comment like "I would not buy a house that has slate in the bedroom". Geeze, it's not like this somehow made the house EVIL or something! haha It's one minor detail - please!

Personally, I would love it if I had slate in the bedroom and bath area. The house I just bought a couple years ago is carpeted in those areas, but I bought it anyway cause there's alot more to the house than just the little bit of flooring. Besides, it can be changed - and I can then pick out exactly what I want. (I actually DO plan to install tile of some kind at some point.)

Reply to
MrC1

Banty, I sense you don't like wood in the kitchen ; )

As much as I'd like to take credit for the place, the house was redone in 2000, and we bought it only last year. We're still furnishing/fixing, etc.

I agree wood isn't the most functional flooring for a kitchen, but I can think of why the builder did it this way. As you walk down the main hallway (saltillo-tiled), you step down into a dining/lounging area (wood). The kitchen essentially makes up the far corner of this lounge area (see pic

) There's really no threshold between the kitchen and lounge, and the wood floor in this lounge area works better than if the saltillo were continued. I can't envision having a different type of tile abutting the saltillo, that would look funny.

Eventual plans include a fireplace set flush in the flagstone veneer (red square in above pic) thanks for your thoughts Homi

Reply to
gd226

Yes the kitchen is a little schizo, but it's a great conversation piece (and a great place to hang out, too)

the realtor that I talked to didn't tell me what I wanted to hear ; )

Reply to
gd226