Slate Flooring

We have a room with outside access to the pool. Currently there is a very low pile carpet (industrial pile almost). I'm thinking about putting in slate because we have an old dog with bad hips who slips a lot. Pergo, wood, marble and tile would be too slippery for him.
What you you all think about slate and is it any harder to install than tile?
Thanks.
Dave

It's wonderfull, tho it's still kind of slippery.
Depending on what you get, it can be a very easy install or somewhat tough. Home Depot sells some amazingly crappy slate allegedly from India. I wouldn't touch the stuff. If you get slate that's been cut to size and machined for thickness, then it's a very easy insallation. If you get random slates, then it's a bit tougher: you have to lay out where you want to put the stones, and then start with the thickest stone you've got, setting that one and then add mortar under every other stone to varying degrees to make sure that the floor is level, persuading high sitters with a rubber mallet and prying up the low sitters to put in more mortar.
Other than that, it's done like a standard sort of tile job.
John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Ask me about joining the NRA.
Dave Combs wrote:

Well, 1) slate breaks ANY glasses and what not that hit it (like marble/tile are gentle ;). 2) not to be mean, but a floor is 10-20 years (or more) and that dog isn't. You could put what you WANT down and then put a runner over that for ol' yeller.
The dog may slip on slate, slate is cold if the dog lays on it. Thicknesses are not exact and you must cut it, tile is slipery to.