Slate Floor-adhesive removal question

More that 25 years ago a carpet was installed on top of a slate floor in our foyer. The carpet installer told us that he used a water-soluble adhesive. Wanting to go back to the slate floor, we removed the carpet. However, we have considerable rubber backing remaining on the slate. We flooded the floor thinking that the water would dissolve the adhesive. But the only way to remove it is by scraping. The adhesive is 'rubbery' in that it stretches before it lets go, sort of like a rubber band.
Can someone help identify this adhesive? And, perhaps suggest some type of adhesive remover.thanks?

It may have been water soluble when still liquid, but once cured, it would be hard. Just like the latex paint used on walls. Wipes up easily until it is cured, then it is scrubbable.
I'd look into some sort of buffer pad with a surface like the 3M green pads. Ed

Try some alcohol or Acetone... VENTILATE the area with both..... not rubbing alcohol to much water Scouring pads might leave marks. Of course I would put the scouring pads in a drill and become Tim Taylor.... more power///
Dave Strasz wrote:

also has some long pole scrapers in the flooring dept... dont know if it will work what you need it for.....